• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Headless Meter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Stinker

CA

[YES, saldy PARKING in my area is SHADY]

There was a meter around my work place that has always been without a meter, but recently they had put the pole there. For a few days it has always been a headless meter. People were able to park there.

So what happen was, I parked there. And two hours later, I got a ticket for expired meter.

[time limit for these meters are 2 hrs, if that makes any difference. Because I know if you park at a broken meter, you are still obligated to the time limit rule]

CdwJava

So ... you parked there after the meter had been fixed? It sounds like you will need to pay the ticket.

- Carl

racer72

A meter without a meter but has a pole? And a headless meter too. And every jurisdiction that I know of says that if a parking meter is broken, the parking spot is to be considered a no parking zone.

You Are Guilty

There is no state law on parking. Depending on where exactly you were, a broken meter in a 2hr zone might entitle you to two hours of parking, one hour of parking, or, as someone mentioned, no parking at all.

If the meter was added while you were parked there, you can get those records from the City (with a FOIA request) and potentially argue your defense that way, assuming you were not parked there longer than permitted for a broken/missing meter.

S

Stinker

the meter head was added to it after I have parked.

=\

I've parked there before [when there was no meter] and it was fine.

just discourage to contest it due to the result of my coworker's contestment.

Thanks for the replies

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">