• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forge/Alter Narcotic Prescription & 2nd Degree Commercial Burglary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jwloc_1977

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California.

I was recently arrested on the morning of July 7th at my place of work for two counts of forge/alter narcotic presrciption and 2nd degree commercial burglary. The charges stem from my forging prescriptions to obtain vicodin. I was seeing a psychiatrist who specialized in addictionology in order to try and detoxify from this medicene. His plan of attack was to prescribe me large amounts of vicodin and have me take 10% less per day. Obviously this did not work and only intensified my addiction. After roughly 3 months of seeing him, he informed me that I should check into a detoxification facility for 3-4 days since we were not seeing succesful results with my tapering program. It was at this point that I began duplicating his prescriptions on a computer and writing my own. I began presenting false prescriptions to several pharmacy's that I had already been to numerous times with his legitimate prescriptions. At first the various pharmacists did not question the scripts or large quantities because they had initially spoken with the doctor. However, after several months of doing this, one of the pharmacists began to get suspicious (for good reason) and contacted the doctors office. The doctor confirmed that he did not authorize the prescription in question or a previous one and the police became involved. They ended up running a very thorough investigation of me which led to my arrest the morning of July 7th. The police told me initially they were looking to charge me with distribution because of the large quantities I was obtaining. However, after a thorough search of my residence and my banking account, they realized this charge did not apply. A fellow co-worker and the Human Resources Director at my place of employment ended up posting my $20,000 bond and upon my release that afternoon, drove me directly to a private detoxification facility.

I have obtained counsel and have appeared at my initial arraignment. My pretrial is scheduled for October 4th. My question is mainly directed toward IAAL, but all responses are greatly appreciated. IAAL, I have read several of your posts and it appears you may work as a prosecutor. I wanted to know how you might view a case like this. I have worked very hard to stay sober since my arrest and better my life. I have a letter from the head physician at the detoxification facility stating that I successfully completed the process. I have a letter from a private drug/alcohol counselor I obtained stating that I have made drastic progress with my recovery. I also have a court card listing the numerous times I have attended narcotics anonymous. Furthermore, I have a letter from my place of work stating that they are aware of my problem and arrest on their property and are submitting me to regular drug testing 4 times a month for a year and mandating that I continue my treatment programs. I have proof of negative results for my drug testing. My question to you as a prosecutor is will this proof that I will be presenting help me in delegating my punishment? How would you view this case and would you be inclined to reduce the charges to a misdemeanor as the police informed me would probably result? I have no prior criminal record and I do understand that not having a criminal record is nothing to boast about. Apologies in advance for the long thread. Please advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">