• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental restrictions changed by board members

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

clacla69

What is the name of your state?Florida
Hello.I bought my condo unit 2.6 years ago. When I bought it the condo bi-laws stated that no rental where permited until the 2nd year aniversary from the closing date. One month ago, there was a voting to change the by-laws to restric rental from 2 to 3 years of purchase. 70% of the owners vote in favor, so the change was made to the books. Now I need to rent my apartment due to a job relocation, but the board of directors is telling me I have to wait until I have 3 years of ownership. Is the law retroactive in this case? Should this 3 year restriction apply only to new owners? The new law was past after I had completed my 2 years restriction, does it apply to me? Thanks for your kind advice.

JETX

clacla69 said:
Is the law retroactive in this case? Should this 3 year restriction apply only to new owners? The new law was past after I had completed my 2 years restriction, does it apply to me?
First, these are not LAWS, but are condo restrictions. As such, the only answer you can get is whatever they condo board says when you ask them those questions in writing??
If you still disagree with the rules after hearing from the board, your options are:
1) To try to get them to amend the rules (however, with 70% passage, that will be a tough road to climb), or
2) Talk with a local attorney who can review the full details of the situation and see if their rules are in violation of local (zoning or similar) laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">