• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lapsed auto insurance,in an accident today

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ccw1963

What is the name of your state?I'm from Missouri,I was in an accident today and the driver left the scene. It was her fault,at least 2 witnesses stated to police,and a report was filed. However,my insurance has lapsed. They caught and charged her with leaving the scene of an accident. Am I ultimately at fault for driving without insurance? Or is her insurance company going to pay?

Happy Trails

ccw1963 said:
What is the name of your state?I'm from Missouri,I was in an accident today and the driver left the scene. It was her fault,at least 2 witnesses stated to police,and a report was filed. However,my insurance has lapsed. They caught and charged her with leaving the scene of an accident. Am I ultimately at fault for driving without insurance? Or is her insurance company going to pay?
If she is found to be at fault, her insurance company pays.

You probably got a ticket for no proof of insurance.

since the other driver is at fault her insurance will STILL have to cover it. you'll just get a ticket for no proof of auto insurance.

the only issue here would be if she WASN'T insured. then you would either have to make a claim with your insurance company under uninsured/underinsured (but since you let the insurance lapse this would not be an option) or you could sue her.

hope this helps :)

C

ccw1963

uninsured motorist accident today

Thanks, that helps very much. It was a potentially serious accident and I'm less shaken up knowing that

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">