• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paternity/statutory rape

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

yasleny

What is the name of your state? wisconsin
when i was 14, i slept with a girl who 17 going on 18. she ended up getting pregnant. i went to jail for a different matter and was locked up for 2 years, when i got out i started paying child support at 18. now the mother of the little girl wants more money. but i don't know if i should even be responsible for a child, since i wasn't of age to consent to sex in the first place. and as far as remember nothing was ever done about it when i was 14. i have a hearing coming up, and i don't know what i should do since i think this?

CdwJava

Chances are you are going to be responsible. What you do is up to you. But I will wager that unless you deny paternity, the court will hold you to child support payments as allowed under state law.

I doubt that at age 14 you were an unwilling partner in the act. If she forced you into the sex act, then you might have a case ... if you reported it way back then. To claim it now will likely fall on deaf ears.

With adult acts come adult responsibilities. Welcome to grown-up land.

- Carl

Y

yasleny

i was actually at a party and drunk when that happened so i don't know if that's gonna make any difference. also does it matter whether i was a willing participant or not, when i thought that by law no 14 year old is supposed to be able to consent to sex, i thought when you were 15 and on it could make a difference whether you were willing or not?

CdwJava

I may be wrong, but I believe in all the states you would be responsible for the child. Any statutory rape law violations would be a seperate matter.

You probably should get an attorney. Because, you are almost certainly going to get hit for child support. You did the deed, you got a child. The states tend not to punish the child for the consentual acts of their parents - even if they might have been illegal.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">