• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handicap placard not enough??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

public_citizen

I live in Cincinnati Ohio.

First off I have a valid current handicap placard for my truck. I live on a street where parking is very sparse. Also on my street is a Handicap parking space (designated with an icon of handicap parking sign only no other info) in front of a house 2 houses down from me.

I was awaken by my roomates when they saw a cop investigating my car. Upon talking with the cop he said "I could not park there because it was reserved for the ower of the house it was in front of and not for general handicap parking." Now I have no way of knowing if this is true. All I can tell you is I didnt get a ticket; but he said that I could get towed for parking there. the street sign only shows a picture of the handicap icon nothing else.

I have no Idea where to start looking for some obscure law that the officer said was the reason I couldn't park there. He said "a few people in the area petitioned the mayor for a space so they could have a spot on this street." Please help me because If this is not true I wish to park there instead of possibly 2 streets away. If it is true I wish to get one for my house. any Ideas?

tigger22472

I personally can't site the specific law, however the officer is correct. The owner of that home likely petitioned the city counsel to have that space put in front of their home and that is for their use.

P

public_citizen

any Idea on what section of laws I should look up to try for petitioning one for myself? also since the sign is non specific and I have never seen anything in a learning to drive handbook how do you distinguish when its a general handicap vs a personallized handicap?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">