• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

condo board member seeking legal action

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dorbel

What is the name of your state? WA

I just heard that a memeber of the condo board demanded to take legal action against a construction outfit doing repairs on the building without calling for a condo association meeting.

Is this legal?

Other memebers of the board said they didn't feel they could take action without a vote of all member of the association. the one member stated that if the condo association did not take action against the construction outfit she would seek legal action against the association.

Background:
A month ago the construction outfit overlooked a defect from one of many subcontractors which resulted in a leak to the condo members unit. The construction took total ownership and even signed a document stating they would fix and repair their unit.

The actual exterior leak has been fixed, and currently the unit is torn up so that the construction outfit could discover where the leak came from.

The construction outfit still needs to deliver to her a proposal of the repairs that will be done.

the individual home owner doesn't want to wait on anything and wants to seek legal action against the construction outfit and if the board votes against them then they have stated they will seek legal action against the board.

Can the association stop them from sueing us?

Should this person be voted off the board?

How should the association proceed?

I believe that the association has up to 4 years to file against the construction outfit, is this true?

How can the association prevent her from filing at this time?

HomeGuru

dorbel said:
What is the name of your state? WA

I just heard that a memeber of the condo board demanded to take legal action against a construction outfit doing repairs on the building without calling for a condo association meeting.

Is this legal?

**A: yes, a condo board member can demand anything from anybody.
Other memebers of the board said they didn't feel they could take action without a vote of all member of the association. the one member stated that if the condo association did not take action against the construction outfit she would seek legal action against the association.

**A: read your CC&R's.
Background:
A month ago the construction outfit overlooked a defect from one of many subcontractors which resulted in a leak to the condo members unit. The construction took total ownership and even signed a document stating they would fix and repair their unit.

The actual exterior leak has been fixed, and currently the unit is torn up so that the construction outfit could discover where the leak came from.

The construction outfit still needs to deliver to her a proposal of the repairs that will be done.

the individual home owner doesn't want to wait on anything and wants to seek legal action against the construction outfit and if the board votes against them then they have stated they will seek legal action against the board.

Can the association stop them from sueing us?
**A: no, anybody can sue for anything.

Should this person be voted off the board?

How should the association proceed?

I believe that the association has up to 4 years to file against the construction outfit, is this true?

How can the association prevent her from filing at this time?
**A: where is the HOA attorney?

D

dorbel

Thanks for the info.
Since this news came to us last night we are just now seeking legal council.
I am in the process of going through the CC&R's currently to address our options and next moves.

HomeGuru

dorbel said:
Thanks for the info.
Since this news came to us last night we are just now seeking legal council.
I am in the process of going through the CC&R's currently to address our options and next moves.

**A: OK, good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">