• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged for assult and B&E

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jizman636

From Calgary.

Ok heres what happened. Friday night i came home from the bar (drunk), and i decided to head over to my ex girl friends house, not unusual. I call her cell phone and no anwser? So i go in the back and look in her bed room window and i see her sleeping and a man in her bed. Seeing this my heart began to race. We has just broken up 3 days prior, and where talking about getting back togeather (keep in mind that this was a 3 year close relationship) So i banged on the window and my ex shot outta bed, i pointed to the door to let me in, so a few seconds later she opens the door. First thing she says is "chris relax, its not what you think" I walked right by her and right in the bed room where her new found fling was awaiting. I waisted no time and began throwing punches and head butts. Luckly for this guy i was extremely intoxicated and couldnt fight very well, so he managed to get me into a very tight head lock. At this time the police where call and arrived right away. I was taken to jail and Charged with assult and B&E. I was released 2 days later under a bunch of conditions:200 meters from everyone at the house, no alcohol..ect ect.. Now heres my question, i contacted my ex girlfriend and asked her "why the hell did you charge me"!! She said it was an accident and she was angry and drunk, she said that she would testify and drop the charges.. Ok fair enough. What are my odds getting away with this assult charge? I know i deserve it, and that i was totally in the wrong, but im almost finished collage and all i need in my life is a criminal record. Any help would be great... Any loop holes? who's asss do i have to kiss? Man i hate my ex, evil evil person to do this to me!!

J

Jizman636

I know

I know, im guilty as hell, my actions where unlawful. Im just asking if i could kiss some ass and get this over with out a record. This is my first offence if that helps.
Calgary is in Canada. yes winter is coming! Im pretty sure or laws are similar though. Thats why i ask for advice.

S

SignorFrancesco

Here's the big problem: You didn't assault your girlfriend, you assaulted AND battered her sleepover buddy. HE is the one who will decide whether to pursue this or not, and I'm willing to bet he will, since he has no warm and fuzzy feelings for you.

While your EX may be swayed by charming words, this other guy could care less. There is also the matter of whether Canada (And Calgary in particular) has any law on the books about "On View" crimes. Such crimes are considered those that the officer witnessed, and thus need no victim to press charges. If they have sufficient evidence, or saw you trying to beat on anyone, then they can charge you on that alone, or at least they can here in California.

In CA, Assault and Battery is generally a misdemeanor, unless you cause great bodily injury, so it's usually not a big deal, and the prosecuting attorney will generally want a victim to press charges and testify.

The Breaking and Entering charge could be dropped by your girlfriend, and chalked up to a misunderstanding, if she's willing to help you out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">