• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being denied visits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

R1957

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA
My grandson was born July 17, 1994. My son and the childs mother never married. My son was and still is in jail. I used to see my grandson before he was 3 years old. I or my wife used to go pick up my grandson and his mom, we used to take her places and bring her to our house. She left my grandson on many occasions with us sometimes for days at a time. We would take him back when we told her we would. We wanted to have a good relationship. The maternal grandmother did not approve of this at all. She would deny us seeing him and then would not talk to us. My son son received paperwork from the courts for child support. Since now the child was receiving state aid. (This is what the paperwork stated) My wife and I wrote letters to the district attorneys office letting them know we existed and were willing and able to support this child without help from the state. They did not care and denounced our letter. The maternal grandmother soon moved sought legal guardianship and we have not had any contact since. It has now been approximately 8 years. My mother-in-law walked into a local postal annex and the gal behind the counter started questioning her about her address. Comes to find out this gal is the maternal aunt. They spoke for sometime even shared recent photos. I want to get in touch with her and find out if I can resume visiting with my grandson. I have always wanted a relationship with him and it has hurt knowing he is out there so close and I cant see him. I am hoping that things will turn out positive but I am skeptical. If things don't work out civilly, what do you think my chances are with the courts?

I would like ANY sugguestions, it would be much appreciated.

LdiJ

R1957 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA
My grandson was born July 17, 1994. My son and the childs mother never married. My son was and still is in jail. I used to see my grandson before he was 3 years old. I or my wife used to go pick up my grandson and his mom, we used to take her places and bring her to our house. She left my grandson on many occasions with us sometimes for days at a time. We would take him back when we told her we would. We wanted to have a good relationship. The maternal grandmother did not approve of this at all. She would deny us seeing him and then would not talk to us. My son son received paperwork from the courts for child support. Since now the child was receiving state aid. (This is what the paperwork stated) My wife and I wrote letters to the district attorneys office letting them know we existed and were willing and able to support this child without help from the state. They did not care and denounced our letter. The maternal grandmother soon moved sought legal guardianship and we have not had any contact since. It has now been approximately 8 years. My mother-in-law walked into a local postal annex and the gal behind the counter started questioning her about her address. Comes to find out this gal is the maternal aunt. They spoke for sometime even shared recent photos. I want to get in touch with her and find out if I can resume visiting with my grandson. I have always wanted a relationship with him and it has hurt knowing he is out there so close and I cant see him. I am hoping that things will turn out positive but I am skeptical. If things don't work out civilly, what do you think my chances are with the courts?

I would like ANY sugguestions, it would be much appreciated.
Please do your best to work things out with the maternal family. Unfortunately, since you haven't seen him for 8 years, you don't have the established relationship that is normally required in order to have a chance of winning a grandparent visitation suit.

R

R1957

Sorry I thought I covered everything. The maternal grandmother has legal guardianship, the child lives with the maternal grandmother.

I and my family have looked for these people all these years with no luck. As far as I'm concerned, the maternal grandmother hid him from me. The maternal aunt after all these years still knows where we live, that is evident in the conversation my mother-in-law had with her.

My goodness you can't just hide someone and then say, "well, you haven't had any contact with him so you haven't established a relationship." You know what I mean.

LdiJ

R1957 said:
Sorry I thought I covered everything. The maternal grandmother has legal guardianship, the child lives with the maternal grandmother.

I and my family have looked for these people all these years with no luck. As far as I'm concerned, the maternal grandmother hid him from me. The maternal aunt after all these years still knows where we live, that is evident in the conversation my mother-in-law had with her.

My goodness you can't just hide someone and then say, "well, you haven't had any contact with him so you haven't established a relationship." You know what I mean.
Well, when it comes to third parties (and grandparents are considered to be third parties) you actually CAN hide away and then argue "no established relationship". You can't do that when it comes to a parent, but a third party, yes. Now, the fact that the child isn't in the custody of the mother might work to your benefit. It may level the playing field to some extent, assuming the grandmother hasn't adopted the child.

C

cyborg50

We live in Louisiana and had our son take the mother of our grandson to court for visitation rights that were extended to us when our son was unable to visit with him. This gave us as grandparents the right to use all court ordered visitation days when our son sas unable to. Maybe you can do the same in California, Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">