• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can someone confirm terry vs nevada issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

public_citizen

I am from Ohio.

I know the ruling on that case said I must identify myself if detained by an officer but does that include having to prove who i am with an ID card?

the situation was this in particular.

A cop was investigating my car while parked on the street legally. I was informed by my roommates of the cops activities. I went out so see what was going on. When asked if I was the onwer I told the cop it was my car. I was then asked to identify myself and provide regestration for the car. (also curious if i needed to do that since I wasn't driving it). I unlocked the car and also gave him my registration and told him my name. everything checked out and he was about to move off but then he asked me to produce an ID to prove who I was. now I told the officer I provided my registration and even had the keys to the car but he continued to ask for an ID. Did I need to produce a photo ID? I did go back into my house and retrieve my ID to comply but I am wondering if I was required to comply?

If so does that mean because of the desicion by the supreme court we must carry ID's on us at all times?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">