• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

aurora8485

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aurora8485

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maryland -My husband is incarcerated. He suffers from depression and attempted suicide, among other things. I can't seem to get any information from the facility where he is housed. All I get is the run around. Does anyone know where I can get a list of what my rights are as his wife?

stephenk

what information are you seeking? some information may require your husband to give permission to the prison to reveal it to you.

S

SignorFrancesco

One of the reasons they may not want to give the information on where he is housed is because he is in a hospital, and they don't want people showing up there to try to contact your husband.

Getting current medical infomation on your husband might be difficult when dealing with the jail, since most officers don't deal with such things, or don't feel inclined to help the public with such calls. I don't think that's a great way to handle things, but some officers just don't deal well with the public.

I'm not sure about the jail system in Maryland, but in California many of the jails have groups like "Friends Outside". Such groups help inmates and their families with questions and needs, like reading glasses and legal information. If such a group works with the jail your husband is in, they'd most likely have the ability to check on your husband's status, especially since they know who to talk to.

Also, just about every jail has a Chaplaincy, and they have a great deal of access to infomation as well. They might be an easier route for you to take. The phone book might even list their number within the jail.

Hope that helps.

aurora8485

stephenk

-Maryland Thank you for your time. The information that I was looking for was anything dealing with his case..court documents, transcripts, police reports.. Is this considered public or would I need special permission? I would also like access to his jail records if possible. My husband does not have a problem sharing this info with me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

S

SignorFrancesco

Honestly I'm not sure what's considered public record in Maryland. The best way to find out is go down to the courthouse and ask the clerks what you can have access to. Usually the court proceedings are public record and open for the public to attend, unless dealing with something of a sensitive nature, such as juveniles.

Jail records generally can only be ordered by the court and the attornies involved, who then could allow access to their clients. I doubt the jail will allow a civilian to have access to such records, even just for liability's sake.

If you husband has a lawyer, I'd imagine you could get most of this information through them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">