• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo Fee plus $100.00

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cbearsmomma

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My moms condo assoc wants all units to include $100.00 on top of the condo fees for a lawer they hired to fight the building of apartments down the street. She voted against hiring this person due to the fact that everything has past the local boards and the building will be breaking ground soon. The condo assoc is tell everyone they must pay this or they can put a lean (spelling?) on her condo - can they do that? :confused:

HomeGuru

cbearsmomma said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My moms condo assoc wants all units to include $100.00 on top of the condo fees for a lawer they hired to fight the building of apartments down the street. She voted against hiring this person due to the fact that everything has past the local boards and the building will be breaking ground soon. The condo assoc is tell everyone they must pay this or they can put a lean (spelling?) on her condo - can they do that? :confused:
**A: what legal HOA documents can they refer to to prove that the $100 assessment is legal?

C

cbearsmomma

I'm not sure what you mean. This $100.00 isn't for the condo or the property in any way. It's for the lawyer the assoc hired - 72 units each pays $100.00 for $7200.00. She already paid it once and now they need more money from everyone.

She doesn't want to pay it can they do anything legal to her?

nusias9

The point HG is trying to make is simple.

Accessment = any amount of money paid to the HOA above normal monthly fee. This is agreed to by a majority vote.

If your mother's association voted on an accessment to retain an attorney then she must pay the fee. That's the bottom line.

Is this the finial bill? Maybe they only paid the retainer and now need to close out the remaining portion of the attorney's bill.

Yes, the HOA can put a claim against your mother's condo. That does not mean she will loose her unit. It means she will loose her voting status with the HOA until she pays the $100. A claim against the title means she cannot sell or take a second mortage without clearing her HOA debts.

Last edited:
C

cbearsmomma

thank you nusia9 - now I understand. I will pass this along to my 73 year old mother.

Homeguru - you could learn a thing or two from nusia9. lighten up a little - it was a simple question.

Have a great day! :)

HomeGuru

cbearsmomma said:
thank you nusia9 - now I understand. I will pass this along to my 73 year old mother.

Homeguru - you could learn a thing or two from nusia9. lighten up a little - it was a simple question.

**A: and mine was a simple answer.
Have a great day! :)
**A: beary good.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">