• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

police officer questioning a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

renellie

What is the name of your state? Washington state.
If a minor is attempting to be questioned by a law enforcement officer and the minor insists that his parents be present before answering any questions or making any statements, but the officer continues to question or demand a statement form the minor, what options are available to the minor or the parents and consequences to the officer, if any?
These questions stem from my 15 year old son witnessing a fist fight between 2 other students, after school and off of school property. The officer stopped my son as he was walking home and the officer questioned him and made comments such as "we are going to start arresting the kids involved in fighting" and "guilty by association" (my son doesn't know the 2 kids that were fighting). My son felt threatened so he answered the officers questions. I saw the officer questioning my son and went over to them. The officer finally asked me "Do you want to take him now?" I was stunned. The officer had already told me that my son was NOT involved in the fight. What legal reason would he have for detaining my son and then asking me if I wanted to take him now? Thank you.

harbor14

If a minor is attempting to be questioned by a law enforcement officer and the minor insists that his parents be present before answering any questions or making any statements, but the officer continues to question or demand a statement form the minor, what options are available to the minor or the parents and consequences to the officer, if any?
There are no consequences to the officer. There is no requirment for a parent to be present in Washington while questioning a 15 year old. The 15 could have invoked his right to an attorney or to remain silent, but not wanting to answer any questions or make statements without parents present doesnt work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">