• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 y/o that needs to move out!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xdeadxstarx

What is the name of your state?

North Carolina

Ok, what I need to know is if I was to move out of my house if there is any way my parents would be able to make me come back. I have looked into emancipation and that would probably not be the best option. I have plenty of people I could live with, 2 jobs, go to college...I believe I am pretty mature for my age. My parents are very strict and I'm not able to have a life living at home. I know that might sound that an immature reason to want to move out but it can be very depressing at times. So I just need to know what the laws are on a 17 year old moving out, and if that would be possible with emancipation or being considered a runaway. thanks for the help.

ptlmejo

TEENAGERS!!!

If you are tired of being hassled by unreasonable parents...

NOW IS THE TIME FOR ACTION!!!

Leave home and pay your own way while you still know everything.

-Author Unknown

cmorris

When I started college, I was 17. My parents let me move out into an apartment, but my brother had to sign the lease (I wasn't 18). This was a MISTAKE. I also had a job to pay rent, but my parents had to pay it on several occassions. After about 8 months, I broke my ankle in a car accident and had to move back home (couldn't get up the stairs or get into the shower by myself)--It was a blessing in disguise!!!

Staying with other people will get old. Have you tried living in the dorm? I never tried it (communal showers--yuck). If that is not an option, I would stay home. Parents have rules for a reason. When you turn 18 and if you still feel this way, then move out.

CdwJava

xdeadxstarx said:
What is the name of your state?

North Carolina

Ok, what I need to know is if I was to move out of my house if there is any way my parents would be able to make me come back. I have looked into emancipation and that would probably not be the best option. I have plenty of people I could live with, 2 jobs, go to college...I believe I am pretty mature for my age. My parents are very strict and I'm not able to have a life living at home. I know that might sound that an immature reason to want to move out but it can be very depressing at times. So I just need to know what the laws are on a 17 year old moving out, and if that would be possible with emancipation or being considered a runaway. thanks for the help.
Running away will not help your case for being emancipated.

Contact your local family court and see what the requirements are, but chances are they include being responsible AND being able to support yourself without the assistance of others.

So, unless you have a job that can pay your way by yourself, I'm afraid you'll have to wait til you are a legal adult at 18 to take off.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">