• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

louisiana court appearance warrent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

roadtripper

On a road trip to CA from FL I was pulled over for speeding on I-10 in Louisiana at 3am-ish. The officer smelled marijuana and demanded to search the car. I refused to sign the consent form, on the basis that my car was so full of stuff. Since I was moving it would take far to long and my possesions would be damaged or lost on the night highway. He told me I could either sign it now and he would search my car or he would call a canine unit to search the car. This argument went on for a while till I Hesitantly signed it, making sure to point out to him that this was in my opinion signing under duress (the form says you cannot be forced to sign under duress). A small amount of marijuana was found as well as a pipe. I was sited for speeding, minor possesion (because it was such a small quantity) and possesion of paraphernalia. Now I'm in california and they've sent me a letter to inform me there is a bench warant to appear in Louisiana.

As a 21 year old college student working part time, I'm curious how this is going to affect me. I have no problem serving my due punishment for breaking the law but i cant go there to do it.
Is it resonable to be conserned they'll come after me? (should i stock up now on stained boxer shorts for my apperance on Cops, or some other such show)
If I'm pulled over here for something I assume it will show up when they run my plates or my lisences... what is likely to be the out come of that?
Is there a statue of Limitations I can look forward to?
I was told when I called to get information from the courts that the warrant would never escalate beyond a warrant to appear, but that if i wanted to get it resolved i would have to physically appear to be reserved a new court date and pay a fine for the warrant etc. Is there no way to have it transfered to CA courts? Any help or advice or information would be helpful. Thank You Very Much for anything you can contribute.

Last edited:

Happy Trails

roadtripper said:
On a road trip to CA from FL I was pulled over for speeding on I-10 in Louisiana at 3am-ish. The officer smelled marijuana and demanded to search the car. I refused to sign the consent form, on the basis that my car was so full of stuff. Since I was moving it would take far to long and my possesions would be damaged or lost on the night highway. He told me I could either sign it now and he would search my car or he would call a canine unit to search the car. This argument went on for a while till I Hesitantly signed it, making sure to point out to him that this was in my opinion signing under duress (the form says you cannot be forced to sign under duress). A small amount of marijuana was found as well as a pipe. I was sited for speeding, minor possesion (because it was such a small quantity) and possesion of paraphernalia. Now I'm in california and they've sent me a letter to inform me there is a bench warant to appear in Louisiana.

As a 21 year old college student working part time, I'm curious how this is going to affect me. I have no problem serving my due punishment for breaking the law but i cant go there to do it.
Is it resonable to be conserned they'll come after me? (should i stock up now on stained boxer shorts for my apperance on Cops, or some other such show)
If I'm pulled over here for something I assume it will show up when they run my plates or my lisences... what is likely to be the out come of that?
Is there a statue of Limitations I can look forward to?
I was told when I called to get information from the courts that the warrant would never escalate beyond a warrant to appear, but that if i wanted to get it resolved i would have to physically appear to be reserved a new court date and pay a fine for the warrant etc. Is there no way to have it transfered to CA courts? Any help or advice or information would be helpful. Thank You Very Much for anything you can contribute.
You need to go to Louisiania and get this cleared up. The sooner you do this the sooner you can put this behind you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">