• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what is he up to?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bluemiss2

What is the name of your state? iowa
i hired a lawyer... right out of the yellow pages. Bad move. I had a problem with a neighbor who put a fence up on my property and damaged my yard and fence. I went to ask my lawyer for advice and a demand letter and he said that he would 'handle everythig'. After he wrote my neighbor the letter, I called him and said that I no longer required his services, that I was just going to fix the damages myself and make a small claim (which I have done). I asked him for a final bill. After one month, no bill. I then left a message for him and never got a call back. Two weeks later, still no bill. Is this a trick? Is he going to say that I never told him that I no longer needed his help, that he's been 'handling' it for two months now so he can give me a monstrosity of a bill. Should I make a request for a final bill in writing, or is it possible that he has forgotton about it completly? What should I watch out for, what should I do, and how long should I wait? Thanks for your replies.

stephenk

call his office and make an appointment to see him. when you go to your appointment bring your checkbook. You and the attorney did agree on his hourly rate and/or the cost of him writing the letter before you had him do the work, right?

B

bluemiss2

Yes, I know what I agreed to, and I will pay what I owe, but what do yo think his reasons are for not sending me a bill when I've asked for it? I don't really want to make another appointment, do you think it's allright for me to send him a letter asking for it? I would just feel better if I made a request in writing. Thanks.

stephenk

why dont you just send him a letter with a check for the amount you agreed upon? thank him for the work he performed.

B

bluemiss2

i don't know the amount, I only agreed with his hourly rate and thats what scares me because he can make up anything. I will send him a letter though. Thank you for your responses.

Dandy Don

No need to stress out about this. He has probably decided not to bill you anything since he realizes he didn't do much of anything to earn a fee. When you write your letter you will find out from his response whether you owe anything, and then you can decide whether you want to pay all of the bill or a part of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">