• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who's responsible for retaining wall?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

oaktowngrrl

What is the name of your state? California
From what I have read on other postings, the person responsible for a retaining wall is the one whose dirt is being retained. Also, that a property owner must give access to a neighbor to make necessary repairs to a retaining wall. After reading below, I would like to know if it is my neighbor's responsibility to build a wall to hold back his property, which will be exposed after I remove the dirt, etc. that he dumped over on my side? Is there any liability on my part if I remove the dirt on my side down to my original ground level and some of his property erodes?

An ancient rock retaining wall, probably built in the '30s was slowing moving and tilting til it reached a 45 degree angle over my yard. This wall may have been a common retaining wall as there is a common garage wall between my property and that of a neighbor's. The garages are built into a hillside with the retaining wall above garage roof level, holding back dirt from the neighbor's yard. When some of the rocks started to fall as well as dirt draining out onto my garage roof, the neighbor somewhat repaired it by packing concrete around it. Last year, he built on top of his side of the garage (though not without first encroaching and had to move his wall over), and said he didn't want to do anything about the retaining wall until he finished his project. Two weeks after the neighbor saw me leave with suitcases, I returned to find that he had broken down the wall, lined the top of my back garage wall with the rocks and filled up the hill behind my garage with dirt from his project and property. He then told me that I had to build a retaining wall. (He also dug out some of my property as well as cut back limbs on my trees well within my property line.) I wrote him a letter stating that he was to remove all the dirt, construction debris, and rocks and restore my property to its original condition. He refused to sign for the certified letter, but I delivered the letter to him anyway. He has done nothing and I am currently getting bids to have the work done, as I don't want the rocks and dirt falling down on my garage roof. I am assuming that a new retaining wall is his responsibility; and that I must allow him to "trespass" on my property in order to build it. Is this correct?

Thanks to all for your suggestions and expertise!

HomeGuru

oaktowngrrl said:
What is the name of your state? California
From what I have read on other postings, the person responsible for a retaining wall is the one whose dirt is being retained. Also, that a property owner must give access to a neighbor to make necessary repairs to a retaining wall. After reading below, I would like to know if it is my neighbor's responsibility to build a wall to hold back his property, which will be exposed after I remove the dirt, etc. that he dumped over on my side? Is there any liability on my part if I remove the dirt on my side down to my original ground level and some of his property erodes?

An ancient rock retaining wall, probably built in the '30s was slowing moving and tilting til it reached a 45 degree angle over my yard. This wall may have been a common retaining wall as there is a common garage wall between my property and that of a neighbor's. The garages are built into a hillside with the retaining wall above garage roof level, holding back dirt from the neighbor's yard. When some of the rocks started to fall as well as dirt draining out onto my garage roof, the neighbor somewhat repaired it by packing concrete around it. Last year, he built on top of his side of the garage (though not without first encroaching and had to move his wall over), and said he didn't want to do anything about the retaining wall until he finished his project. Two weeks after the neighbor saw me leave with suitcases, I returned to find that he had broken down the wall, lined the top of my back garage wall with the rocks and filled up the hill behind my garage with dirt from his project and property. He then told me that I had to build a retaining wall. (He also dug out some of my property as well as cut back limbs on my trees well within my property line.) I wrote him a letter stating that he was to remove all the dirt, construction debris, and rocks and restore my property to its original condition. He refused to sign for the certified letter, but I delivered the letter to him anyway. He has done nothing and I am currently getting bids to have the work done, as I don't want the rocks and dirt falling down on my garage roof. I am assuming that a new retaining wall is his responsibility; and that I must allow him to "trespass" on my property in order to build it. Is this correct?

Thanks to all for your suggestions and expertise!
**A: in this case, you are correct.

louiecl

similar problem with retaining wall

Name of State - California, Los Angeles
Recent rains had started a problem with the retaining wall between me and my neighborls house. I had told them in the past that when they water the garden I see the wall crying (leaking with water). Now the wall has fallen due to weight of the moist ground. Toward the back end of house we have a 10 foot drop from her yard down to my yard. Between the houses we see a pavement and small garden area then the wall and then their pavement and their house. The whole wall came crashing down to my house, crushing everything that I had on that side of my yard. We have estimated the wall starting at 30000 and an itemized list of personal damage at 20000. We also found the stake at our property that tells us where our line is and with a measuring tape we measured it and found the wall may be on their side of the property. I don't know where to start or even to begin getting everything back. They are thinking that we are sharing all cost to damages, and advised us not to call Building & Safety for the city of Los Angeles. They are hoping FEMA money will cover this and I am getting upset because as time passes they have gotten worker to come and clear the wall damage away and also all the mud, but in the process made more damages to my other side of the yard and even my front steps leading to the front of my house. Who will pay for these damages additonally incurred during their clean up. So far I have called secretly the city inspectors and my insurance company to see if covered. insurance is sending an adjustor out and the city suppose to send an inspector. Please someone give me some guidance and advice. Thanks

BelizeBreeze

louiecl said:
Name of State - California, Los Angeles
Recent rains had started a problem with the retaining wall between me and my neighborls house. I had told them in the past that when they water the garden I see the wall crying (leaking with water). Now the wall has fallen due to weight of the moist ground. Toward the back end of house we have a 10 foot drop from her yard down to my yard. Between the houses we see a pavement and small garden area then the wall and then their pavement and their house. The whole wall came crashing down to my house, crushing everything that I had on that side of my yard. We have estimated the wall starting at 30000 and an itemized list of personal damage at 20000. We also found the stake at our property that tells us where our line is and with a measuring tape we measured it and found the wall may be on their side of the property. I don't know where to start or even to begin getting everything back. They are thinking that we are sharing all cost to damages, and advised us not to call Building & Safety for the city of Los Angeles. They are hoping FEMA money will cover this and I am getting upset bDeecause as time passes they have gotten worker to come and clear the wall damage away and also all the mud, but in the process made more damages to my other side of the yard and even my front steps leading to the front of my house. Who will pay for these damages additonally incurred during their clean up. So far I have called secretly the city inspectors and my insurance company to see if covered. insurance is sending an adjustor out and the city suppose to send an inspector. Please someone give me some guidance and advice. Thanks
Please delete this and post to your own thread. No one is going to answer you when you hijack another's post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">