• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Whos responsible above limits when they would have settled for limits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hdtvincr

Lady was injured in accident by my son. There is some doubt as to whether it was a pre existing condition, or caused by the accident.

They have asked for his limit of $100,000. Insurance lawyer says if it goes to jury and they award MORE than the $100,000, that he would be responsible.

Is this true? Why should he be responsible when they would have settled? Seems the insurance company would have nothing to lose by fighting it if this was the case.

Thanks for any help...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

hdtvincr said:

Lady was injured in accident by my son. There is some doubt as to whether it was a pre existing condition, or caused by the accident.

They have asked for his limit of $100,000. Insurance lawyer says if it goes to jury and they award MORE than the $100,000, that he would be responsible.

Is this true? Why should he be responsible when they would have settled? Seems the insurance company would have nothing to lose by fighting it if this was the case.

Thanks for any help...

My response:

Did the insurance company offer the 100K, and it was rejected?

IAAL

H

hdtvincr

MY insurance did not offer the $100,000.

My insurances lawyer stated that her attorneys demand is for my $100,000 limit. The present state is that my insurance has authorized a counter offer of up to $30,000.

Still, if a jury determines that the damages are higher and the settlement could have been lower, why should I be responsible?

stephenk

you wont be. the insurance company has a duty to settle within the policy limits if they can. if the carrier takes a chance that a jury will award less than the policy and the carrier is wrong, the carrier ends up paying the award.

have you received a letter from your carrier advising you that the case value may be more than your policy limits?

you should write a letter to your attorney (the one hired by the carrier) demanding that the case be settled within the policy.

H

hdtvincr

stephenk said:
have you received a letter from your carrier advising you that the case value may be more than your policy limits?

you should write a letter to your attorney (the one hired by the carrier) demanding that the case be settled within the policy.
I have received a letter from my (carrier) attorney stating:

"We remain unconvinced that the Plaintiff's claim is worth $100,000. I have received settlement authority to offer up to $30,000 to settle the claim. I am simultaneously with this letter making an offer of $25,000 to the Plaintiff in settlement. However, I am not optimistic."

"It is possible a jury will not believe the Plaintiff. I simply write to you to advise you of the possibility of a judgement in excess of your insurance limits and your right to obtain your own personal counsel if you wish."

I can also tell you that my (carrier) attorney verbally told me "off the record" that if my big name insurance company chooses to fight it and it goes over, they always take care of it. So I have not bothered with my own "personal" attorney.

H

hdtvincr

stephenk said:
I have not received ANYTHING from my carrier, just their hired attorney....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">