• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who's responsable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wrmjr1

What is the name of your state? Florida
The property behind my house is a 10 acre wooded lot. During hurricane Ivan a tree turned over on that lot and took out my fence. I don't want to make a claim on my homeowners policy so I called the property owner to make a deal. He told me it wasnt his problem. My question is: Am I responsable for the damage that one of his tree's did to my property? Any advise would be great.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

wrmjr1 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida
The property behind my house is a 10 acre wooded lot. During hurricane Ivan a tree turned over on that lot and took out my fence. I don't want to make a claim on my homeowners policy so I called the property owner to make a deal. He told me it wasnt his problem. My question is: Am I responsable for the damage that one of his tree's did to my property? Any advise would be great.

My response:

Yes, you are. A hurricane is enough to be labeled an "act of nature". As such, you're the one who's going to have to take care of this matter.

IAAL

R

Raisinette

<<A hurricane is enough to be labeled an "act of nature". As such, you're the one who's going to have to take care of this matter.>>

This might not be true IF said tree was known by the owner to be a problem (eg, dead and in dangerous proximity to your property) prior to Ivan's playing havoc with it. That seems rather a long shot.

However, I would be very careful filing a homeowner's claim. I'd get an estimate of the damages first. I personally would not even contact an insurance company about damages of a few thousand dollars -- it is too easy to get cancelled. It's a new (insurance) world out there, the last couple of years -- from my reading born out of necessity.

rmbeverlin

How can a tree knocked over by hurricane winds be your neighbors fault? You should be ashamed of yourself.. causing your neighbor grief when times for us are already hard enough.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">