• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stepmother can't see her grandson

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your arkansas? My stepmother have been married to my father over 30 years. My brother is now divorce with one boy, but my brother and ex-wife could not take care of the boy. The boy was born in Dec 1993, My stepmother cared for the boy for first 10 years. The boy stayed with my stepmother and my father most of the time 90% of the time. My stepmother never recieved a dime for taking care of the child. Now that my father died, my brother will not let my stepmother see the child. She really love that boy, what can she do to see the boy. Can she go to a lawyer or call the police, that she wants to see the boy. I don't know all the rights to a stepmother or what. thank you Kirby

BelizeBreeze

Aside from sneaking around to see the child, it's up to the parent to grant visitation rights unless the stepmother can make a case of 'best interest of the child'.

In other words, unless she wants to pursue a long, costly legal battle which she will probably lose, she's out of luck.

LdiJ

kirby dickey said:
What is the name of your arkansas? My stepmother have been married to my father over 30 years. My brother is now divorce with one boy, but my brother and ex-wife could not take care of the boy. The boy was born in Dec 1993, My stepmother cared for the boy for first 10 years. The boy stayed with my stepmother and my father most of the time 90% of the time. My stepmother never recieved a dime for taking care of the child. Now that my father died, my brother will not let my stepmother see the child. She really love that boy, what can she do to see the boy. Can she go to a lawyer or call the police, that she wants to see the boy. I don't know all the rights to a stepmother or what. thank you Kirby
If I understand you correctly she is a stepgrandparent (stepmother to the child's father). In Arkansas she would not have standing to sue for visitation as a stepgrandparent. Therefore there is nothing she can do except to try to repair the relationship with her stepson.

JETX

LDiJ is correct. As a step-parent (or step-grandparent), she has no legal right to expect, or demand, visitation or custody.

BelizeBreeze

JETX said:
LDiJ is correct. As a step-parent (or step-grandparent), she has no legal right to expect, or demand, visitation or custody.
awwww geeeeee. Here comes that 'chopped-liver' feeling again :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">