• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unsure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

anon1969

What is the name of your state?WV
My ex-girlfriend left a boat which was disabled on my property for over two years. I had it removed from my property along with some other junk. She drove by and saw that the boat was gone one day and then began to call me to discover it's whereabouts. I did not tell her what I had done because I did not want an argument. She reported the boat stolen. The officers called me to find out about the situation and explained to them the situation. They informed me that they felt like that was the case when they investigated the situation and that they would be in contact with me if necessary. The boat was recovered from the guy that I had haul the junk away from my property but I am unsure as to whether I should go ahead and seek legal council or not. The boat was not stolen nor was it sold so I am just seeking some advice on this matter as I feel the woman is going to be vindictive about the situation.

Shay-Pari'e

You allowed her to store her boat on your property, yet decided to haul it away? Did you by any chance call the friend to tell him/her you no longer wanted to store it for them?

D

D.B. Cooper

You have nothing to worry about, but she does. Send her a bill for the storage fees and one for junk removal. And then cream her with two lawsuits when she doesn't pay

A

anon1969

I did not tell her that I no longer wished to store the boat because I hadn't had contact with her in months. She was originally supposed to sign the title of the boat over to me to repay monies lent on several occasions. This never happened and the boat did not run, as well as it became a mosquito nest too close to my home. At the time I had the boat removed, I was unaware of her location nor did I have any way to contact her. I accepted no money for the boat nor did the gentleman I had remove it do anything with the boat other than park it on his property.

Happy Trails

D.B. Cooper said:
You have nothing to worry about, but she does. Send her a bill for the storage fees and one for junk removal. And then cream her with two lawsuits when she doesn't pay
You can't send her a bill for storage fees. There wasn't an agreement for that.

I don't know what your Ex can or will do. If she wants the boat, she can come and get it now.

BelizeBreeze

Should you seek legal council? Well, let's see.

Your side of the story: you agreed to let your ex store her boat on your property. It was inoperatable so you thought nothing of it. In fact, you did nothing abou it for two years then got tired of it and called a junk dealer to haul it off. your ex saw that it was gone and after calling the police to report it stolen, it was recovered, no harm, no foul.

How am I doing so far?

Your ex's side of the story: She asked your permission to store her restored valuable boat at your property because she felt it would be safe there. Since you never called to ask her to come and get it, she relied on your promise to keep it there. Then one day, she had occassion to pass by and see her beautiful, restored treasure gone. She tried to ascertain it's whereabouts from you but you lied and said you did not know where it was so, relying on your false information, she files a police report. The police confronted you and found the truth, the boat was recovered and was found to be in such disrepair that the once beautiful, restored boat worth many thousands of dollars is not worthless.

Now, should you seek legal council? You tell me.

Shay-Pari'e

D.B. Cooper said:

You are incorrect. He is responsible for the boat.

Shay-Pari'e

BelizeBreeze said:
Should you seek legal council? Well, let's see.

Your side of the story: you agreed to let your ex store her boat on your property. It was inoperatable so you thought nothing of it. In fact, you did nothing abou it for two years then got tired of it and called a junk dealer to haul it off. your ex saw that it was gone and after calling the police to report it stolen, it was recovered, no harm, no foul.

How am I doing so far?

Your ex's side of the story: She asked your permission to store her restored valuable boat at your property because she felt it would be safe there. Since you never called to ask her to come and get it, she relied on your promise to keep it there. Then one day, she had occassion to pass by and see her beautiful, restored treasure gone. She tried to ascertain it's whereabouts from you but you lied and said you did not know where it was so, relying on your false information, she files a police report. The police confronted you and found the truth, the boat was recovered and was found to be in such disrepair that the once beautiful, restored boat worth many thousands of dollars is not worthless.

Now, should you seek legal council? You tell me.
Sorry, missed your response. ;)

S

SignorFrancesco

Actually, I've seen several cases similar to this. In each and every case the person who left the items for an unspecified amount of time, who were unable to be contacted, and who never seem to check on their "stored" items, was told that their case against the "storer" was dismissed.

If it's true that she was not in contact with you and you could not contact her, then there's nothing you could do to give her a chance to remove the boat. Of course why would she if she had planned on signing it over to you? I can only go based upon what you've told me. But this sounds like the same thing as these other cases, which would seem to be reflected by the police and their lack of interest in arresting you or citing you.

I can't be certain of the specific laws in West Virginia without doing way more research than is needed here on my part, but some cases just work out the same in almost every state.

You should contact the police and see where they are on this and what they feel is the next step. You can also get a copy of the police report, which I would strongly recommend anyway.

If you find that you need to contact an attorney, or would just feel better doing so (and I know how you feel), send me a private message and I'll give you another route to go.

Shay-Pari'e

SignorFrancesco said:
Actually, I've seen several cases similar to this. In each and every case the person who left the items for an unspecified amount of time, who were unable to be contacted, and who never seem to check on their "stored" items, was told that their case against the "storer" was dismissed. He never said he could not get a hold of her, and he further stated he did not let her know he wanted it moved.I

f it's true that she was not in contact with you and you could not contact her, then there's nothing you could do to give her a chance to remove the boat. He never said he couldn't contact her.

she is not Of course why would she if she had planned on signing it over to you? I can only go based upon what you've told me. But this sounds like the same thing as these other cases, What other cases?

which would seem to be reflected by the police and their lack of interest in arresting you or citing you.Now you are contradicting yourself.I

can't be certain of the specific laws in West Virginia without doing way more research than is needed here on my part, but some cases just work out the same in almost every state. That makes no sense at all.

You really should have done your research. And you should have before posting.

S

SignorFrancesco

anon1969 said:
I did not tell her that I no longer wished to store the boat because I hadn't had contact with her in months. She was originally supposed to sign the title of the boat over to me to repay monies lent on several occasions. This never happened and the boat did not run, as well as it became a mosquito nest too close to my home. At the time I had the boat removed, I was unaware of her location nor did I have any way to contact her. I accepted no money for the boat nor did the gentleman I had remove it do anything with the boat other than park it on his property.
You'll have to forgive Paradise, she doesn't care for me much, nor does she seem the least bit interested in helping many people around here. I haven't done an extensive search of her posts, nor do I care to, but the ones I've seen are fairly terse to the people asking questions. In the interest of making things clear again, now that she's confused the issue, let me pick out a couple of things from the quote above.

Anon says that he hadn't had contact with this woman in several months, and that he had no way of contacting her. Which is where I got the notion that he. . . could. . . not. . . contact. . . her. I hope that's now clear enough for you to understand. Read the posts all the way through and you won't have these problems.

In Anon's original post he says, "The officers called me to find out about the situation and explained to them the situation. They informed me that they felt like that was the case when they investigated the situation and that they would be in contact with me if necessary."

The officers would be in contact "if necessary." So I'm not sure where you get that I'm contradicting myself. From what Anon has told us, the officers don't seem overly concerned with this case.

Anyway, I hope that this helps Anon. I'm sure this will be only more fuel to the fire for Paradise and her friends to harp on things senselessly, instead of actually trying to help people around here.

BelizeBreeze

SignorFrancesco said:
You'll have to forgive Paradise, she doesn't care for me much, nor does she seem the least bit interested in helping many people around here. I haven't done an extensive search of her posts, nor do I care to, but the ones I've seen are fairly terse to the people asking questions. In the interest of making things clear again, now that she's confused the issue, let me pick out a couple of things from the quote above.

Anon says that he hadn't had contact with this woman in several months, and that he had no way of contacting her. Which is where I got the notion that he. . . could. . . not. . . contact. . . her. I hope that's now clear enough for you to understand. Read the posts all the way through and you won't have these problems.

In Anon's original post he says, "The officers called me to find out about the situation and explained to them the situation. They informed me that they felt like that was the case when they investigated the situation and that they would be in contact with me if necessary."

The officers would be in contact "if necessary." So I'm not sure where you get that I'm contradicting myself. From what Anon has told us, the officers don't seem overly concerned with this case.

Anyway, I hope that this helps Anon. I'm sure this will be only more fuel to the fire for Paradise and her friends to harp on things senselessly, instead of actually trying to help people around here.
And this issue is very easy to resolve as I told our poster a long time ago. Get legal council. Because, no matter what transpired, you accepted a bailment and then converted personal property without notification. Which makes you legally liable.

Shay-Pari'e

SignorFrancesco said:

Why are you apologizing for me? First off, that is not your place. Second, you are wrong.

We have all realized you do not like being wrong. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">