• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Existing fence on my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ColoradoBlue

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Colorado

I have lived in my house about 8 years. In the survey done at purchase, I noted that the fence takes a dogleg of about three feet onto my land for about twenty feet. It never bothered me until recently - I have discovered that If the fence followed the property line, I'd have a perfect spot for storing my ATV.
The dogleg in the fence allows the neighbor's driveway to accomodate two cars. If the fence is moved, they will no longer be able to do so, which is why I think they'll have issue with me moving the fence. But, it's mine and I want it. Is there some kind of statute of limitations on my moving the fence, and if there is, what is it called? What does everybody think is the best way to handle this? I've got no complaints with them as neighbors, and don't want to start any, but I want my space. . .

Happy Trails

ColoradoBlue said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Colorado

I have lived in my house about 8 years. In the survey done at purchase, I noted that the fence takes a dogleg of about three feet onto my land for about twenty feet. It never bothered me until recently - I have discovered that If the fence followed the property line, I'd have a perfect spot for storing my ATV.
The dogleg in the fence allows the neighbor's driveway to accomodate two cars. If the fence is moved, they will no longer be able to do so, which is why I think they'll have issue with me moving the fence. But, it's mine and I want it. Is there some kind of statute of limitations on my moving the fence, and if there is, what is it called? What does everybody think is the best way to handle this? I've got no complaints with them as neighbors, and don't want to start any, but I want my space. . .
Is it your fence?

C

ColoradoBlue

The city has no record of a permit issued for building it, so I don't know for sure. I think it is, though, because it matches another section of fence on my lot that's not a boundary issue. And the slats face the neighbors. . .

BelizeBreeze

Mary got rid of his donkey ;)

Told me it took 35 minutes to delete all the posts. Sometimes I just LUV that woman...and then other times :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">