• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Aid ...can I protest the decision??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Virginia

There is only ONE place to help me in a desperate situation concerning an abusive husband, and my home which I am about to lose.

My husband will be going to jail and he lives in the marital home.We have been seperated since April (but he is being charged with a felony and will be nailed for it,making the separation time easier).I called legal Aid of Northern VA and the secretary told me they could not help me as there is conflict of interest.

Only thing was I had MADE THE PHONE CALL TO THEM TWELVE YEARS AGO ON HIS BEHALF, and they are telling me that is a "conflict of interst" AND....It had nothing to do with divorce.

The reason why I need help is for a divorce /property settlement before I lose everything! I have two 13 year old girls,and can easily get sole custody b/c he is being charged with a felon , and the guardian is pulling for it.

I am disabled and have nowhere else to turn.Should I talk to the managing attorney of legal aid, or is it worth it? It just seems to me that if it was I that had spoken to them (they have record of it, that I had talked to them,not my husband) and it didn't pertain to any family law there is something amiss here.
Thank you in advance for answering my question :)

Sheri in VA

stephenk

call your local bar association and ask if they have a list of attorneys who perform pro bono (free) work on family law issues.

Legal aid will not change their minds. your hubby consulted with them previously, even if through you, and they therefore cannot represent you against him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">