• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online harassment -- Am I in trouble?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

xDavidx

For the past year or so, I've playfully exchanged non-threatening insults with an underaged female on a hate site against my gender. But now I fear that I have crossed the line.

She boasted of something she wrote that was published in a newspaper. Because this is public information, another user looked her name and city up and informed me of it. She freaked out, obviously not wanting anyone to know her name and location, and immediately deleted her post about getting her letter published.

Well, today she insulted me again. And without thinking, I replied, "Really, (insert name and location)? You should be nicer to me, now that I know where you live."

Anyway, I know that she is freaking out about it. In fact, before getting the moderator to delete it, I know they saved it and may give it to the police. So I am expecting a knock on my door.

Does my interaction with her constitute online harassment? If so, what might be the penalty? And what should I say to the police, if anything?

Thanks.

CdwJava

By itself, that would not constitute a crime in CA. And it likely would not be a crime anywhere else, either.

But, it is REALLY, REALLY dumb to be debating with kids on-line.

- Carl

S

SignorFrancesco

You may have to answer some questions from the police, but it shouldn't go any further than that, as long as nothing else happens. Just stop going to that site, and stop messing around like that online with minors. Of course, saying something that provocative to anyone, minor or adult, would most likely yield the same results.

Good-natured, or not so good-natured jabs back and forth are amusing for a very small period of time, and then someone steps over the line usually. Just not worth the hassle.

S

spliff

SignorFrancesco said:
You may have to answer some questions from the police, but it shouldn't go any further than that,
I find fault with this comment. You are NEVER required to answer any questions the police ask you. The police are not your friends and if they are asking you questions, chances are they are hoping you will make an admission.

HomeGuru

spliff said:
I find fault with this comment. You are NEVER required to answer any questions the police ask you. The police are not your friends and if they are asking you questions, chances are they are hoping you will make an admission.

**A: Oh brother, another dead man walking response from stiff.

CdwJava

spliff said:
And ya know, sometimes I prefer it when people don't talk to me. It makes my reports shorter, and allows me to base my probable cause for an arrest solely on the uncontradicted statements of the other party.

I recall once when I had to arrest a guy for DV when he wouldn't talk to me ... I suspected that his wife's injuries were self-inflicted, but had to have someone at least allege this or HE would go to jail as it is the law in CA. Unfortunately, he decided to clam up.

He wasn't ultimately charged, but it cost him thousands in bail money and attorney's fees for failing to talk to me. But, that was his right.

- Carl

S

SignorFrancesco

Whether one on one with a cop, or with an attorney by your side, or even finally in front of a Judge, you WILL have to answer some questions. If you have nothing to hide and have done nothing wrong, you won't have anything to fear by answering the officer's questions. I'm only ever looking for those who are hiding something or lying about something, and I let the D.A. make up their minds about what it all means, with no opinion of mine added to the report.

So no, you don't have to talk to the officer and answer questions by yourself, but you will have to talk sooner or later. Just depends on how guilty you want to look, and how much money you want to spend on attorney fees and lost wages from work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">