• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre Employment IP contracts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JohnJStarrJr

Colorado and Wyoming

I am graduating college this December and I have been developing a piece of software which will not be complete until next year. I have a few questions about these Pre Employment IP contracts.

The only reason that I can see for them requiring you to sign one is for them to get more rights beyond what the law allready gives them as an employer. Most that I have seen look nearly the same with "NO" time limits at all.

1 Can they own all rights to a brand new invention that you discover and develop after you leave the company?

2 Can they own all rights to a brand new invention that you discover and develop after you leave the company for the rest of your life? If "no" then how long can they hold any future inventions you have?

3 Can they own rights to inventions you create outside the workplace while you are still employed by them?

4 How much actual real power or validity do these pre employment contracts give the employer beyond what the law allready gives them?

Thanks for answering the above questions in advance,

jjsjr

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">