• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Any Solution Here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? PA

My husband of 23 yrs left on July 10th, and is doing some really crazy things so I believe he is going through an age crisis (55).
I saw a lawyer and she said it was too early to settle anything, he is still in a "guilty stage"....can anyone explain this better....what is a guilty stage and how long does it last?? And she said it did sound like he was sick, and might come back.
Well....meanwhile he is burning bridges like crazy, bought another house on article/agreement, bought a car, getting tattoos....just blowing money like crazy with a girl he just MET in Aug.
Meanwhile our mortgage is behind, and there isn't any talking to him, he's very vindictive to me.
Most of his income is under the table, so spousal support would be opening a big can of worms.
I want to freeze assets and get temporary possession of the home or something (so he can't take stuff out) but the lawyer said it would cost about $1500, and I don't have that kind of money.
I hate to see him ruin everything we worked 23 yrs for in 3 months time....is there ANY solution????

VeronicaGia

Your only solutions are to either come up with the money for an attorney or do and incredible amount of research into your states divorce laws and try to take this on yourself. I don't recommend it.

BelizeBreeze

Change the locks on the doors, take all of the money out of the accounts and put it in another account with only your name on it and then tell him to suck wind.

Thank you. There is no money in the accounts, the thing I was worried about is a life insurance policy that I took out on him many years ago. There is cash value, and I'm not trying to be greedy but just hate to see him blow it by not thinking straight. He is listed as the owner (my stupidity, but at the time I wasn't thinking that any of this would happen).
No comments on this "guilty stage" the lawyer was talking about?

nextwife

Ah, Breezy, no wonder we are kindred spirits.

I'm also nearly 50, mom to a 7 year old, and my husband/daughter's daddy is 58. It's not age. There is nothing magic about turning 55 that makes a guy crazy. I know many very happy, settled, 50-60 year old family friends.

Can you get him into counseling? Sounds like he has some unresolved issues he's freaking out about.

Dandy Don

The first attorney you talked to gave you bad advice. Try to get another one (ask your local bar association if they can give you a referral, or contact the law department of a local college/university--they sometimes do pro bono work). A good attorney can help you preserve your spousal rights and start making this man account for his assets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">