• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Compete

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cmw3369

arialWhat is the name of your state?
I live in New York I have been with a school photography comp for 12 yrs. I signed a non compete when I started stating that upon termination I may not work in the field of photography for myself or anyone else for 1 year & in 100 mile radius of the office and i am not allowed to solicit his clients for 2 years.
For numerous personal reasons I would like to leave and start my own company. What actions can he take....can he touch my personal finances or only the new business. He himself took clients from his previous employer and is vey paranoid. Also 1 other part time photographer he uses photographs children in schools & on teams. Several other photographers shoot weddings outside the company and another fulltime employee shoots teams & sports. Does he have a leg to stand on? :) Please help.....

BelizeBreeze

Of course you can do what you want. After all, it's just a contract that you willingly signed. But don't let that stop you. After all, it's not theft if YOU do it, just if it's done to you.

RIGHT?

You Are Guilty

Well, I usually don't offer loopholes, but in this case, if you're in NYC, the 100 mile geographic radius would probably not be upheld by the courts as overbroad. On the other hand, the time limitation is fine, so you're still pretty much screwed.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The bottom line answer to this question is that without seeing the agreement, no one can give you a conclusive answer. Please show the agreement to a local attorney.

HomeGuru

cbg said:
The bottom line answer to this question is that without seeing the agreement, no one can give you a conclusive answer. Please show the agreement to a local attorney.
**A: now that's a response I could agree with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">