• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do i need a lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mp3

What is the name of your state?
Florida

I was a member of an online group. I had a minor disagreement and left on Sept 1st. Some emails were exchanged. Most of the members i considered to be friends of mine including the managers. On Sep 18 i decided to send them some flowers just to say i had no hard feelings and sorry for any misunderstanding. In the past 3 days, i have received 2 certified letters, one from New York and one from California, threatening me with restraining orders if i contact them. I dont have any plans to contact them. I dont know how this got escalated to this point. It must have been something else driving it that i am not aware of after i left the group. Do i need to retain a lawyer? I am now feeling scared, almost terrified. I need to know what to do in this situation.

M

mp3

Florida

yes,its a no brainer. I have already done that and dont have any intentions of contacting them ever again. I just need to know what to do if they keep sending letters.

BelizeBreeze

mp3 said:
Florida

yes,its a no brainer. I have already done that and dont have any intentions of contacting them ever again. I just need to know what to do if they keep sending letters.
And, of course, that's NOT what you asked. But if they contact you again, THEN take the correspondence to an attorney and let him/her answer. YOU stay away from it.

S

SignorFrancesco

And just so you know, anyone can file for a restraining order against you, and all it means is that you cannot contact them according to the specifics of the order itself. That's all the order means to you, and as long as you don't violate it, then your safe. If they do get such an order and then contact you, first off you'll know there's an order and should have proof of such, and if they then contact you, do exactly as Belize said and let a lawyer handle it from there.

Make sure that you keep any letters or emails sent by them from this point on, and anything from before that would give some idea of the situation before. I'd also keep a copy of the receipt for the flowers and any card you sent along, just to show your intentions.

If any of those people do decide to get a restraining order, they're going to have to prove to the court that you are a threat to them or are harassing them. If you're no longer contacting them, you have nothing to worry about. The matter should just blow over.

M

mp3

to signor francesco

fla

if they do get one, does it come in the mail or do the authorities bring it?

S

SignorFrancesco

You'd be sent a copy of it in the mail by the court.

The police would only deliver something like that if the need was immediate, and the situation was currently a problem. The visit would be coupled with some instructions by the police, as well as them taken your statement for their report.

I really don't see this being a problem from here on out if your not contacting them. Just watch out for incidental contact online, if that happens, and make sure to document it in a journal, and keep a print out of any Instant Messages, emails, or chat room dialogues. And be nice, it'll only help you in the long run.

M

mp3

thanks again

fla

oh none of that will happen, i changed my instant messages, blocked all emails, changed email account, you name it. one person still contacts me by email from the book club but not involved in any of this stuff but i have been thinking better not talk to any of them.

M

mp3

p.s

the bad part about hte whole thing is i have been nice the whole time.

thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">