• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KrisHughes

What is the name of your state?Utah
In my husbands divorce papers he is ordered to maintain a $300,00 life insurance policy with the beneficiaries being his children with his ex-wife being the trustee until they are 18 years of age. At the moment I am the beneficiary on the life insurance. How would this hold up in court? Would his ex-wife get the money or would I since I have his bills and our house to pay for and we also have a daughter together.

VeronicaGia

At this point he is in contempt of court. If ex wants to file, he will lose.

You need to take out a life insurance policy on him, make all the payments yourself and make yourself the beneficiary.

nextwife

That is exactly what I did.

His other policy (the court ordered one) in no way prevents YOU from obtaining your own policy on your husband. I bought two on my husband, and also have one against him through my employer - and I am sure mine were way more expensive (Hubby was over 50 when I bought them) than what you could get. If you get a cheap term policy (20-25 year), that will get your child or future child pretty much done with their HS years before the policy lapses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">