• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dad wont sign papers!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

missworld22883

What is the name of your state?CA
my parents have not lived together for at least 20 years. my mom has finally decided that she wants a divorce, so she filed and got all the papers together with a paralegal. problem is, whenever someone goes to serve the papers to my dad hes never home or he doesnt come to the door. this has been going on for a few years now. he says he wont sign the papers and she just has to deal with it that they'll be married forever and thats it. it bothers me because he uses her for her medical insurance. she tried to take him off but he went to the offices and got himself back on. is there anything my mom can do without having him sign the papers? does he need to sign stuff in order for the divorce to go through?who is eligible to serve papers? what can she do? thanks.

VeronicaGia

She cannot legally remove him from the medical insurance until a judge says she can or they are divorced.

He has the right to due process so he has to be served properly. And since she knows where he lives, she will have to have someone do it.

Not sure about CA law and who can legally serve the papers. Call the county in which she filed for divorce and see if they know.

BelizeBreeze

There are all manners of service in California and all 50 states. If this has been going on as long as you say, you need to either return to the courthouse for an explanation of 'alternative' service or hire an attorney to provide service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">