• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pushing the paperwork

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anabanana

What is the name of your state? FL

I understand that it's all about pushing the paperwork and getting through the pile and that your average bankruptcy lawyer doesn't know one of his cases from the next because they're mostly all pretty much the same. But suppose you're the creditor, not the debtor, and suppose the trial is next week and suppose the last time you met with your lawyer six and a half weeks ago you gave him the names and addresses of all the relevant parties for the witness list and the discovery, etc. etc.

Would it be odd, for the lawyer to then suggest --seven days before the trial, three days before depositions--that you, the creditor, get on the phone and start requesting documentation be "faxed over" for discovery...?

I mean, maybe this is normal... I kinda thought that's why I was getting him all those addresses and why we were discussing what documentation would be useful, so he could subpoena it, but maybe it normally is the client's job to write those letters and make those calls and try to produce that stuff just a few days before trial. I don't have any authority to subpoena anything, and even if I could get somebody to "fax over" old bank and government records, these wouldn't be admissable at trial anyway, would they? Faxes?

Have I been hung out to dry...?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">