• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbors dog attacks our dog - taking pictures

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lassy

What is the name of your state? WV

Hi,

Our neighbors have 3 minor kids. They moved in across the road 2 years ago and let their large dog run free. The kids are home schooled, and left home alone most of the day. During this time, and even when the parents are home, the dog goes wherever he wants unsupervised. The dog chases people, and jumps up on the side of vehicles as they pull in our own driveway. People visiting us are afraid to get out of their vehicles when the dog is present. The dog uses the bathroom in our yard, and chews up stuff and drags it into our yard.

3 days ago, our much smaller timid dog was going to the bathroom in our own 1 acre yard when the dog ran from his own yard attacking our dog without provocation. My husband broke it up, and the dog chased my husband. Our dog suffered gashes that had to be stitched, and a torn leg muscle that had to be repaired.

We contacted our town, and the town served the neighbors papers saying an adult must supervise the dog at all times when he is out, and he must be on a leash, and kept inside their own yard. So far, they’ve not complied. The neighbors even admitted to a town council member to not paying dog taxes, but it looks like the town isn't going to do anything else - just turn their head.

So, today I was video taping, and taking pictures of the dog in our yard. It so happened the adults were gone, and the teenage girl (14ish) came outside and lit up a cigarette. She sat down in the yard, so I took a picture of her. She saw me, and she immediately went around the back of their house. 5 minutes later, she came over and began wildly beating on my door and ringing the doorbell for about 5 minutes. I didn’t answer the door. I figure she was angry, and didn’t want her parents to find out she’s been smoking.

So, my questions are… what can I do about the dog?? And, did I do anything illegal or wrong in taking the girls picture outside in her own yard smoking?? (I actually didn’t get a picture, it blurred beyond recognition).

Thanks.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

lassy said:
What is the name of your state? WV

Hi,

Our neighbors have 3 minor kids. They moved in across the road 2 years ago and let their large dog run free. The kids are home schooled, and left home alone most of the day. During this time, and even when the parents are home, the dog goes wherever he wants unsupervised. The dog chases people, and jumps up on the side of vehicles as they pull in our own driveway. People visiting us are afraid to get out of their vehicles when the dog is present. The dog uses the bathroom in our yard, and chews up stuff and drags it into our yard.

3 days ago, our much smaller timid dog was going to the bathroom in our own 1 acre yard when the dog ran from his own yard attacking our dog without provocation. My husband broke it up, and the dog chased my husband. Our dog suffered gashes that had to be stitched, and a torn leg muscle that had to be repaired.

We contacted our town, and the town served the neighbors papers saying an adult must supervise the dog at all times when he is out, and he must be on a leash, and kept inside their own yard. So far, they’ve not complied. The neighbors even admitted to a town council member to not paying dog taxes, but it looks like the town isn't going to do anything else - just turn their head.

So, today I was video taping, and taking pictures of the dog in our yard. It so happened the adults were gone, and the teenage girl (14ish) came outside and lit up a cigarette. She sat down in the yard, so I took a picture of her. She saw me, and she immediately went around the back of their house. 5 minutes later, she came over and began wildly beating on my door and ringing the doorbell for about 5 minutes. I didn’t answer the door. I figure she was angry, and didn’t want her parents to find out she’s been smoking.

So, my questions are… what can I do about the dog?? And, did I do anything illegal or wrong in taking the girls picture outside in her own yard smoking?? (I actually didn’t get a picture, it blurred beyond recognition).

Thanks.
**A: call the police.

L

lassy

Hi,

That would seem like a good option.

As an update ....
Our town is very small and does not have a sheriff, so we would have to go directly to state police.

The dog is still being allowed to run loose, and I am going to bring my dog home from the vet this evening. So, I called the animal shelter again, and was told to contact the town and have the town contact the animal shelter, and then they would come pick the dog up. (sounds like a run around to me)

We will be getting the vet bill this evening, so we will hand that over to the magistrate.

I don't want anyone to have their animal taken away from them, but in this case our options are running out. Calling the state police is a good idea. We simply won't tolerate a bully dog especially after he's attacked another dog.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">