• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Smoking on Work Place Grounds (outside)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

migs21

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin.

Question: I work at a Health Care Insurance Company.
Smoking is not allowed in our building, which is fine. Smokers are regulated to the "loading dock" area, which is in the back of the building and not viewable from any entrance to the building by visitors/workers, etc. The Company now, is going to implement a policy of No Smoking and this will include the company grounds. In other words, no smoking anywhere around the building or on the companies property. Since "second-hand smoke is not the issue, the company has posted that because of "health care" costs. Considering that obesity is gaining on smoking related health costs, we smokers see this is a joke (they are not closing the elevators to those overweight who use them). They intend to punish those who violate this smoking ban by treating them as normal rule violators, to include termination. This takes people using a legal product (who use this product away from the population) and treats them as criminals. The same treatment as the person who may steal from the company, etc..even though they may have an excellent work record. Can this be "Wrongful Termination" and how far, legally, can the company go to enforce this rule?

M

migs21

Reply to ms. Breeze

Let me guess, you are not a lawyer and you do not like smokers. Please I request "Honest Legal Reponses", not political action committe responses.

BelizeBreeze

migs21 said:
Let me guess, you are not a lawyer and you do not like smokers. Please I request "Honest Legal Reponses", not political action committe responses.
Let me guess. I don't give a damn. Because I AM a smoker. At least one pack a day. And guess what else. I own the company. One more little factoid for you. I smoke outside so that my employees who do not smoke don't have to smell the crap. I have a place across the parking lot where I've set up a picnic table and nice trees for the smokers. And that's ME and my partner.

And the response I gave you is the ONLY legally valid response that applies to your situation.

Or would you like to contact Sun Microsystems who's campus in Palo Alto, California is more than 25 acres and who require smokers to leave the grounds if they want to puff?

Guess what? It's their property and they have that right.

And it's MR. WRONG AGAIN!

racer72

Smoking is not allowed on any of the Microsoft campuses spread throughout the Seattle area. I enjoy driving by and see folks huddled across the street puffing on their smokes. Especially when it's raining outside.

BelizeBreeze

racer72 said:
Smoking is not allowed on any of the Microsoft campuses spread throughout the Seattle area. I enjoy driving by and see folks huddled across the street puffing on their smokes. Especially when it's raining outside.
You bad gramps. You REAL bad :D

M

migs21

Smoking Outside

My goodness, such attitudes. Sorry if I offended anyone, but since Boss Breeze owns a company and smokes outside, which is no problem for me and this 72 hates smokers, but is throwing carbon monoxide in the air from "Driving around", I guess that the best thing to do is see a actual lawyer or talk to someone who has less of an attitude.

N

Night_on_Earth

Just curious, as you don't like the answers given, just what rights do you believe you have? You mentioned that tobacco is a legal product. So is alcohol. Do you therefore believe you have the right to a few drinks during lunch?

M

migs21

Smoking

No, I do not believe you should drink and drive. That could actually endanger someone else AND drinking and driving is AGAINST Federal and State laws. Smoking outside away from those who may not like smoking is not against the law (yet) and is not the same no matter how you try to spin it. Smoking in an enclosed space, building, car, etc is a different ball game and I can agree that smokers should not smoke in that case. We are however, talking about the open air.

nextwife

Exactly. The company is ONLY restricting smoking during work hours and around their premises. You ARE allowed to smoke anywhere else and on your own time.

And there are many legal products, as stated alchohol is one. That does NOT translate into an employer being required to accomidate your desire to consume it on their time or on their premises.

Sex is also legal between consenting adults.....

N

Night_on_Earth

Who said anything about drinking and driving? Should you be allowed to drink at work? It's a legal activity. I can, sitting in my office, shout curse words at the top of my lungs. It's 100% legal. Must my employer therefore tolerate it?

Last edited:
N

Night_on_Earth

BelizeBreeze said:
Smoking is illegal on the street and in any public place in Berkley, California.

Next argument :D
Sorry, U.S. law only, please.

M

migs21

Smoking

To Night on Earth:

Nope, can't drink in the office, but believe it or not, you can in the Parking Lot. At our business, you are in fact allowed to have two drinks/beers during lunch, just not in the building. As for cussing, I do not think that is tolerated INSIDE the building around others and in fact is against the law in most states. Understand I am not talking about INSIDE, I'm talking OUTSIDE away from the building (100feet) and away from sight or any entrances to the building. Me thinks, other then Breeze, the arguments are coming from smoke haters.

BelizeBreeze

Me thinks, other then Breeze, the arguments are coming from smoke haters.
And does that matter? it's all a matter of common courtesy. You woudn't expect me to come into your home and lay a big juicy fart on your sofa then leave would you?

And you shouldn't force your dangerous habits on anyone else. It's not YOUR building, your business or your rights. You have the right to leave the building if you want to smoke. It's simple.

Otherwise, you also have the right to stop smoking.

How many rights do you think you give someone who has to inhale your smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">