• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bankruptcy and OCS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

walknwounded

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My husband is considering going into the Navy as an officer. He has a Masters Degree in Criminal Justice, and Bachelors in Aeoronautical Sciences.

The problem is I have had alot of medical problems lately, and our bills got so overwhelming from my lost income, and the debt amount in his name that he filed bankruptcy.

Now the job market decline and layoffs in our area are so severe, he is considering going into the military as an officer. Will having a recent bankruptcy on his record harm his chance in joining the Navy for the Officer Program?
:confused:

craftyarmymommy

Similar situation

Residing in Texas

My husband was enrolled in OCS through the TX National Guard and was told to drop his bankruptcy proceedings. We were told to make payment arrangements with his debtors. My husband decided he didn't want to finish OCS but he stayed in the unit and again began the proceedings only to be told shortly before his unit's mobilization that a bankruptcy would prevent him from obtaining a security clearance.

I understand fully what you mean about mounting medical bills and difficulty finding a job. Go back to the hospitals and see if they have a medical loan repayment program.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">