• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested While on Probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Ralne

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I am currently on probation for 2nd offense DWI and was arrested for Shoplifting. Does anyone know if this will revoke my probation for the DWI and I will have to serve the suspended jail time? This is my first and last offense for shoplifting. The total of the merchandise was approx. $150.00. Here over $100.00 is a Felony. Only Approx. $50.00 of the items left the establishment and they assumed I was going to steal the others.

Thank you
Ralne

stephenk

pack your toothbrush. you will most likely get revoked for your probation and serve the time hanging over you. Plus, you will face the felony shoplifting charge! buddy, you just don't learn.

R

Ralne

Thank you for the reply. Can they charge me with a felony even though the amount of goods that left the premesis was under the amount for a felony?

Thank you
Ralne

D

D.B. Cooper

Don't worry about the shop lifting charge, worry about the violation of probation.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Stephen, it's no use. Some people, like our writer, are born to be "Terminally Stupid". It's just no use to help people who live in trailers.

IAAL

S

SignorFrancesco

I'm not understanding how the total worth of the items were $150.00, but you only had stolen $50.00 worth. What are the circumstances that would give them reasonable cause to believe the other $100.00 worth were on the way out as well?

As for the probation, shoplifting is definitely going to revoke it. You'll not only serve out the remainder of the time for your original sentence, but you'll have a probation hold put on you as well. Your sentence can come and go, but you won't go anywhere until your P.O. lifts the hold. I have no idea what guidelines they have in your state for lifting, placing and the extent of a hold.

Get in touch with your P.O. as well, because if they have to come hunt you down on a warrant, that's only going to serve to upset the P.O. and make matters worse for you.

stephenk

the shoplifting charge can become a felony. It is called petty theft with a prior (your felony conviction).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">