• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plaintiff/Respondent Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Brady263

What is the name of your state? California

I retained a lawyer to for custody/visitation of my son from his mother, we were never married. (she was not represented by council)
During the process, our names became reversed on the court documents with regard to her being designated as the plaintiff and myself as the respondent. In reality it was the reverse. It did not appear to me as a major issue, though I recall my attorney discussing the correction in court with the Judge.
After over a year of litigation, I received full custody of my son but the issue was never corrected. My attorney recommended that we "needed" to get this done because it could somehow impact future litigation.
I said, okay and filled out a form for him. I received the bill for his services: $1000.00..!!! He billed me 3 hours for "proposed findings and order after hearing and continuing preparation" then he billed me another 1.5 hours for a Superior Court appearance...!!!
Why am I paying $1000.00 to correct what appears to have been a clerical error by "someone" but certainly not me...!!
I am withholding payment until I receive some advice...
Thanks in advance.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Brady263 said:
What is the name of your state? California

I retained a lawyer to for custody/visitation of my son from his mother, we were never married. (she was not represented by council)
During the process, our names became reversed on the court documents with regard to her being designated as the plaintiff and myself as the respondent. In reality it was the reverse. It did not appear to me as a major issue, though I recall my attorney discussing the correction in court with the Judge.
After over a year of litigation, I received full custody of my son but the issue was never corrected. My attorney recommended that we "needed" to get this done because it could somehow impact future litigation.
I said, okay and filled out a form for him. I received the bill for his services: $1000.00..!!! He billed me 3 hours for "proposed findings and order after hearing and continuing preparation" then he billed me another 1.5 hours for a Superior Court appearance...!!!
Why am I paying $1000.00 to correct what appears to have been a clerical error by "someone" but certainly not me...!!
I am withholding payment until I receive some advice...
Thanks in advance.

My response:

Your post is logical, and your thoughts on the matter are correct. So, the question is begged, "Why aren't you saying this in a letter to your attorney?"

IAAL

B

Brady263

I did respond to my lawyer via email; I asked him to respond via email for my records... he has not responded...
I believe you have answered my question, though.
Thank-you...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">