• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice needed for a worried friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lorelei

What is the name of your state? Texas

Well here goes yet another tale of an adult dating a minor.

My friend Lori came over this morning worried sick about her brother who is 16 or soon to be 16. He is dating a 19 year old that just had a baby by him not too long ago. He dropped out of school claiming he wants to get a job to help support the baby.
Anyhow the school is saying that if he doesnt come back that they will press charges against his girlfriend for statutory Rape or something along those lines. Lori asked me if the school could actually do this and the only answer I could come up with is " I have no clue".
So the questions are:

1. Can the school force him to go back?
2. Can they actually press charges against his girlfriend? I think they can but I am not a lawyer or anywhere close to understanding the laws here.
3. What the hell is going on in the world today where Adults are dating children? (Sorry I am just getting really tired of seeing and hearing crap like this)
Thanks in advance
Hmmm I should start letting my friends create their own damn accounts on this site, I hate being in the middle.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
1. If TX law requires him to be in school, yep, they can take steps to require him to be in school.

2. The school cannot charge her with anything, but they can certainly report the situation to the DA.

3. Because too many people are immature idiots.

Happy Trails

In addition:
“A student who is at least 18 years old and is voluntarily enrolled in school may be withdrawn when they accumulate more than five unexcused absences in a semester. Under this provision a district may revoke the enrollment of such a student for the remainder of the school year.” Please note that the student must be at least 18 years of age. You can not simply withdrawal a student because they have missed time. You may only withdrawal a student if it is determined that he is no longer a member of the district. It would be against the law to withdraw student that is under 18 years of age for the reason stated in TEC 25.085(e).

L

Lorelei

Good News!!

Lori told me to thank everyone that responded.

After printing out everything you all have said and alot of talking, a bit of arguing and his girlfriends pleadings, He's decided to go back to school and get a part time job. He seems genuine in wanting to help take care of the child he helped create and I met his girlfriend and believe it or not even though she is 19, she has a job as a secretary and PAYS her mother to watch the baby while she works. There is no welfare involved with her at all.

Irrelevant to mention all that but it just shocked me that these two people are actually responsible. *Shrugs* Just seems rare now a days

BelizeBreeze

ljsam said:
Hey, a idea? Why don't they get married,-with parents consent, then the law
can not do, nothing to them. if he is on birth Certf. as father, then he better
get it in writting for visitation,custody, just in case,down the line. etc.etc. and
grandparents right to visit, all that legal agreements on paper,then have the 19
yr.old sign it,too. /with witness/notary. As long as the 16 yr.old's parents agree.
Now that is a brilliant idea. Have these children get married so that it's LEGAL. Instead of the CHILD remaining in shcool, graduating and getting a start on life so that he will be in a better position to care for his child.

Typical welfare thinking. DUFUS!

L

Lorelei

Actually Belize some of the arguing DID have to do with Marriage.
He WANTS to marry her and she Told him that she will NOT marry him Unless he goes back to school and when he graduates then they will talk about marriage.
From what I understand about this whole thing IF its the truth was she was on that Depo Provera shot when she got pregnant. *Shrugs*
Either way between all your answers and everything that went on with his parents, sister and girlfriend, He's back in school.

ljsam : IF you had read the previous post then you would have seen that the problem has been resolved.
And I guess Every child should be married before they complete school or even have a chance at life just because they have a child of their own.
Sorry if I Sound bitter But There are enough people on welfare due to poor education or whatever their reasoning is... Why add to the statistics?

P.S My friend Lori just read the rest of the posts after I said he went back to school. She told me to let you all know that Her brother and girlfriend refuses to be on welfare. Where they live in Texas, you are considered "Trash" if you are on state aide. They feel they are far better than that.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Lorelei said:
From what I understand about this whole thing IF its the truth was she was on that Depo Provera shot when she got pregnant. *Shrugs*
I hope he now has a better understanding of why guys should use condoms? Even if she WAS on Depo, having unprotected sex is a STUPID idea. And this was unprotected sex. Who knows what either of them may have picked up and passed along.

L

Lorelei

stealth2 said:
I hope he now has a better understanding of why guys should use condoms? Even if she WAS on Depo, having unprotected sex is a STUPID idea. And this was unprotected sex. Who knows what either of them may have picked up and passed along.

Reminds me of the "Scare" Tactic my mother used with me when I was growing up. She always told me "For every person you have sex with, you are also having sex with whomever they had sex with and the people that they had sex with and so on and so forth"

The way it sounded when I was younger was "IF you have sex with one person UNLESS they were also a virgin Then you were having sex with millions of people" That thought was way too gross for me.....hmmmm it still is.

BelizeBreeze

The way it sounded when I was younger was "IF you have sex with one person UNLESS they were also a virgin Then you were having sex with millions of people" That thought was way too gross for me.....hmmmm it still is.
And I guess virgins never got BJs :D

L

Lorelei

*laughs* Hell I was 12 when she first started telling me that, Didn't even know what a BJ was back then. The things she used to tell me growing up used to scare the wits out of me. But now that I'm older, I now know that some of the stuff was actually true. Go figure....parents end up being smart after all. *laughs*

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">