• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property and divorce in California.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

memikhail1

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

What is the name of your state?Seems like it’s my time to get a divorce. I’ve been living in California for 7 years; we came here from different country. So, here is my situation: I start working from the first day we came here(USA), while my wife was getting ready to take her Registered Nurse test, it’s took her 5 years to get it done. All these 5 years she didn’t work and didn’t have any income. 2 years after we came here we bought the house, borrowed down payment from my parents. The house is on my name ONLY, and she sighed the paper that it’s my sole and separated property.She sighed paper that it is my sole and separated property when we were closing the escrow (when I bought my house). That’s all what I have. It’s not like I don’t want to pay her money, we have a child together, and I just don’t want to sell my house. Also my wife is not on the title and she is not on any mortgage documents. She’s been working 2 years and we pay mortgage from our join bank account. Now we are decided to have a divorce. She start making good money and it’s seem like I don’t have any place in her life. We have 8 years old daughter who is the most important in my life, we are too close to each other.
Now my questions:
1.Does she have any right to my property?
2.If question #1 is YES, Is there any way I can give her money WITHOUT selling my house. She wants me to move out and sell the house, but I don’t want to sell it, I am ready to give her the money. What are my chances?
3.Can I have 50% time with my daughter or as a father I am going to have less than mother?
4.Should I move out from my house before we start filling out divorce paper?

enigma1771

Do Not Move

Whatever you do, DO NOT move out of your house. You should be able to get joint custody of your child, as for the house, you can buy her out. Get yourself to a good lawyer and file first.
Now come on and let's help this poor guy out. Too many men get the shaft.
Yes, I am female but have seen it happen way to much that the guy gets left with nothing but the bills. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">