• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broken engagement-HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bmha727

What is the name of your state? NY
Recently my marriage engagement was broken off. My ex took out a $5,000 loan to help pay for deposits. He now wants me to not only pay for half of the deposits, but also pay him back half of the $5,000 he borrowed. Only about $1,400 of the $5,000 was set aside for the wedding. Between the both of us, we spent the rest of the money, (we did live together) as well as the money we had set aside to pay the vendors. I know I'm morally obligated to pay him for 1/2 of the deposits, but am I legally responsible to do this? Also, am I responsible to pay him back 1/2 of the loan he took out? All the deposits are in his name. And yes, I did give the ring back.

HomeGuru

bmha727 said:
Recently my marriage engagement was broken off. My ex took out a $5,000 loan to help pay for deposits. He now wants me to not only pay for half of the deposits, but also pay him back half of the $5,000 he borrowed. Only about $1,400 of the $5,000 was set aside for the wedding. Between the both of us, we spent the rest of the money, (we did live together) as well as the money we had set aside to pay the vendors. I know I'm morally obligated to pay him for 1/2 of the deposits, but am I legally responsible to do this? Also, am I responsible to pay him back 1/2 of the loan he took out? All the deposits are in his name. And yes, I did give the ring back.

**A: yes, you need to pay up so do it.

enigma1771

If he broke the engagement the ring is yours.
If he broke the engagement and your heart, I say let him pay the bills in his name and you pay the ones in yours. :p

HomeGuru

enigma1771 said:
If he broke the engagement and your heart, I say let him pay the bills in his name and you pay the ones in yours. :p
**A: and just where are you geting your legal advice from; Chucky Cheese?

VeronicaGia

enigma1771 said:
Either Chucky Cheese or the Cracker Jack Box.

This is not true. An engagement ring is a gift in anticipation of marriage. If there is no marriage, the gift is returned. If there is a marriage, the gift is kept. If she keeps the ring, he can sue her for whatever he paid for the ring.

And if she does as you say, he can sue here (or she him) if his costs exceeds hers.

VeronicaGia

bmha727 said:
He took out the loan, you have admitted you helped him spend the money on something for which it was not intended. You likely owe him 1/2 the $5k plus 1/2 of the deposits.

B

bmha727

So, you're saying that anytime you date someone or live with someone, you would have to pay that person back for half of everything you did together? Movies, dinner, etc.? And in response to GURU's post, I sold all my things when I moved in with him because he didn't like my stuff and his stuff was newer than mine. I don't even have a bed. Should I sue him for half of what it will cost me to replace everything?

Last edited:

ajfai

Oh Brother

That was YOUR choice to sell your furniture. You didn't have to sell it at all. Consider this as lesson learned. If you don't have the money to pay for something don't borrow the money. No pay up!

LdiJ

bmha727 said:
Since none of it is in your name, you have no LEGAL obligation to pay any of it. He would then have to sue you for it, and a judge would determine what, if anything, you legally were obligated to pay. In my opinion, legally, you are only looking at 1/2 of the money spent towards the wedding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">