• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

News feeds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

ggray97

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

Hi,
Been wanting to setup a blogging site that comments on the daily news. Was wondering if can just cut paste a news article from one of the major news sources? would this be a copyright violation?

If so, how can I legally do this? can I alter the article to make it legal?

Thanks!
ggray97

BelizeBreeze

You can quote the article to substiantiate a point you're trying to make but you can't take the entire article nor a major portion. And you had better 'attribute' it.

G

ggray97

Ok, thanks, that's the best explaination so far. I've been asking around but no one had much of an idea.

Now, attributes, do you mean put the quoted portion in italics, blockquotes or " (quote) marks?

And, should I run a link to the original article?

Thanks a lot!
ggray97

BelizeBreeze

ggray97 said:
Ok, thanks, that's the best explaination so far. I've been asking around but no one had much of an idea.

Now, attributes, do you mean put the quoted portion in italics, blockquotes or " (quote) marks?

And, should I run a link to the original article?

Thanks a lot!
ggray97
Yes and yes. And also "as quoted from the United Press International 3/2/2004" or whenever and whomever.

G

ggray97

Thanks belizebreeze, that's all I need to know for now. Now, I can work on my first blog.

See you later,
ggray97 in SF where there is much to comment on LOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">