• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Really really bad problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

newpoint

What is the name of your state? California

Married in late 80's to my husband. We have kids and dogs and a great life. I pulled my credit report and did a background check to line some things up and discovered that I was married in the mid 80's. I was 18 years old and he was 34.
I remember a lot. I was in trouble with the law since I was 17 and they were "actively pursuing" me. He knew about it and said that we should get married and he would help me get a lawyer and get it all straightened out. I bit. I married him but then got kicked out soon after. He told me not to come back because I wasn't good enough. I told him that I didn't want to be married then. He said his brother was going to turn me into the police if I started trouble and took me to a lawyer to do an annulment. I signed the papers and was told that they didn't want trouble and I didn't want trouble so it never happened. Uh-huh. I was under the impression that it was done and resolved and we were never married.
Here and now, just found out that he held paper on me for 6 years (immigration maybe?), overlapping my current marriage in another state by two years. So, what should I file, where should I file and how??? Please. While looking up info on the internet I found that he himself had a marriage that ended two months and one day before he got me to marry him. She was 18 and must have been smarter than me or he had nothing to threaten her with.
So do I qualify for an annulment? Nunc pro tunc? Can I do that on a divorce that's over 20 years old? I do not want to *******ize our children. I was victimized anough already. What can I do? Please help.

LdiJ

newpoint said:
What is the name of your state? California

Married in late 80's to my husband. We have kids and dogs and a great life. I pulled my credit report and did a background check to line some things up and discovered that I was married in the mid 80's. I was 18 years old and he was 34.
I remember a lot. I was in trouble with the law since I was 17 and they were "actively pursuing" me. He knew about it and said that we should get married and he would help me get a lawyer and get it all straightened out. I bit. I married him but then got kicked out soon after. He told me not to come back because I wasn't good enough. I told him that I didn't want to be married then. He said his brother was going to turn me into the police if I started trouble and took me to a lawyer to do an annulment. I signed the papers and was told that they didn't want trouble and I didn't want trouble so it never happened. Uh-huh. I was under the impression that it was done and resolved and we were never married.
Here and now, just found out that he held paper on me for 6 years (immigration maybe?), overlapping my current marriage in another state by two years. So, what should I file, where should I file and how??? Please. While looking up info on the internet I found that he himself had a marriage that ended two months and one day before he got me to marry him. She was 18 and must have been smarter than me or he had nothing to threaten her with.
So do I qualify for an annulment? Nunc pro tunc? Can I do that on a divorce that's over 20 years old? I do not want to *******ize our children. I was victimized anough already. What can I do? Please help.
I think that you need to get an attorney involved with this one.

N

newpoint

Thank you. I don't want to go after that man. I am afraid of him, even now. All I want to do is correct our current marriage. We consider ourselves Common law married since we lived in a common law state and met all of the crtieria (we have a special anniversary for that one too!) but I really want our WHOLE marriage to be right. So, if we take the bad man out of the picture, what would be the best course of action? Thanks!

LdiJ

newpoint said:
Thank you. I don't want to go after that man. I am afraid of him, even now. All I want to do is correct our current marriage. We consider ourselves Common law married since we lived in a common law state and met all of the crtieria (we have a special anniversary for that one too!) but I really want our WHOLE marriage to be right. So, if we take the bad man out of the picture, what would be the best course of action? Thanks!
That is why I am saying that you need an attorney. I think this is too complicated to handle on your own. I am not saying that you need to go after him, I am saying its complicated. You may still be married to him, or you may not. He may have filed for the annulment, and it just doesn't show up on the background check. Or he may not have filed it and you are still legally married to him, or he may have filed for a divorce later etc. etc....you really need an attorney to sort this out for you.

N

newpoint

Sorry about that, I thought I got that in the first paragraph. He held the paper for 6 years and then filed for and got a divorce. I am definately not married to him. My concern is only about our (my present day wonderful husband and my) current marital status and how to correct the date to protect our children from stigma. Even if they never know, I would know.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">