• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underbilled for services

• Thread starter Helpmeplease321
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Helpmeplease321

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York : I had a divorce attorney from 10/20/2001. I had signed a retainer which stated that I would pay the attorney $300.00 an hour. I never bothered to look at the retainer again and sincerely believed that the amount on the retainer read $250.00.I was under extreme duress at the time of signing this retainer and still do not recall signing the agreement with that amount on it. When I started getting her bills, I was being charged $250.00. I thought this was the correct amount so I didn't question it. The attorney was billing me at $250.00 an hour and continued to do so for 31 months. At the end of the 31 months she finally caught her mistake and went back and changed the billing day one to the amount of $300.00 an hour. I was really upset about this and feel that I should not be responsible for her mistakes, especially since it took her 31 months to find it. Had she billed me correctly from day one, I would have realized my mistake in signing that agreement and would have found another attorney. I do not believe she was worth $300.00 and hour. I would have went into Manhatten if I wanted to pay that amount. I had much difficulty with her throughout our relationship, I would have cancelled her services immediatly if I had known that her rate was $300.00. Am I responsible for her mistake? Is she allowed to go back and change the previous bills? I don't know what my legal rights are when it comes to something like this, but I I know that this higher rate would have influenced whether or not I kept her services.

anabanana

What is the distinction you draw between a $250 per hour lawyer, and a $300 per hour lawyer? You weren't dissatisfied enough with her services at $250, but she was not worth $300? You're gonna want to drop that specious line of reasoning. It's ridiculous and insupportable. If you paid as you were billed in good faith, my guess is that any judge in small claims would be sympathetic to you, or at least split the difference. But to say --after 31 months-- that your objection to the fee is related to the quality of her services is going to make you sound like a whiney malcontent.

Not saying you aren't entitled to that opinion, but don't try to sell it to a judge. It will backfire on you. You're far better off with an argument that you paid in good faith on a consistent billing pattern. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">