• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

new gate & fencing on easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

amberk

What is the name of your state?California

I live on 20 acres – in a block of 4 20-acre parcels. My property is only accessible via a 30-foot easement across my neighbor's land. The easement is spelled out in the title and there is a road agreement outlining maintenance cost of the road is to be divided by percentage of use by the two parties. I am the only user of the road so bear full burden of maintenance cost. The neighbor put in the existing (manual) gate and the previous owners of my property did all of the grading, graveling and road maintenance. My neighbor uses the pasture that the road/easement goes through for several horses.

Now to my questions. 1) I would like to replace the gate with an electronic one so I don't have to get in and out to open the gate, especially when it is raining. Do I have the right to change out the gate? 2) I would like to put a fence along the easement line so the horses do not have access to the road. This is for safety so I can walk down the road or ride my own horses down the road without being challenged by their horses. Do I have the right to put in a fence? What in general are my rights regarding the access road other than paying for the upkeep?

HomeGuru

amberk said:
What is the name of your state?California

I live on 20 acres – in a block of 4 20-acre parcels. My property is only accessible via a 30-foot easement across my neighbor's land. The easement is spelled out in the title and there is a road agreement outlining maintenance cost of the road is to be divided by percentage of use by the two parties. I am the only user of the road so bear full burden of maintenance cost. The neighbor put in the existing (manual) gate and the previous owners of my property did all of the grading, graveling and road maintenance. My neighbor uses the pasture that the road/easement goes through for several horses.

Now to my questions. 1) I would like to replace the gate with an electronic one so I don't have to get in and out to open the gate, especially when it is raining. Do I have the right to change out the gate? 2) I would like to put a fence along the easement line so the horses do not have access to the road. This is for safety so I can walk down the road or ride my own horses down the road without being challenged by their horses. Do I have the right to put in a fence? What in general are my rights regarding the access road other than paying for the upkeep?
**A: it depends on what your easement agreement states.

A

amberk

Easement agreement states nothing other than 30 foot access along the south border of the property for the purpose of accessing our property. The road maintenance agreement only says that cost for upkeep will be based on percentage of usage. There is nothing about what kind of road, gates, fencing, etc.

HomeGuru

amberk said:
Easement agreement states nothing other than 30 foot access along the south border of the property for the purpose of accessing our property. The road maintenance agreement only says that cost for upkeep will be based on percentage of usage. There is nothing about what kind of road, gates, fencing, etc.

**A: then it's open for negotiation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">