• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restraining Orders, Kidnapping, and Runaways

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jackies3225

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Kansas

I'm 14, living in Kansas. My boyfriend is 16, lives in Nebraska (30 minutes away) A 20 yr old lives with my 16 yr old boyfriend and is his means of transportation to come see me and for me to go up to NE. My parents aren't too fond of the idea of me driving with a 20 yr old, which is understandable, but he's just transportation. Last night I went up to NE to party without parent's permission and they called the cops to go get me. Could they define me as a runaway even though I was gone for just an hour? If it hadn't been the 20 yr old taking me across state lines but the 16 yr old's mom, would that be legal? Could anyone be charged with kidnapping even though it was by my own will? Could restraining orders be issued? Please tell me any illegal activities going on in this situation...

CdwJava

In a nutshell, ANYONE who permits, allows, or harbors you outside of your parent's direct permission can be subject to numerous criminal charges. Depending on the circumstances, there could be federal statutes violated as well.

If mom does not give permission to go, you can be considered a runaway. At that point, you become potential jail fodder for anyone around you.

While I don't know the specific laws in KS and NE I can guarantee that if someone carries you off to visit anyone without mom's permission they can go to jail.

And yes, restraining orders and criminal charges can be made all around.

If mom and dad do not sign off on this relationship, then they are at great risk. And, of course, if the two of you are having sex ... and if I had to wager, I would say you are ... then everyone is at even GREATER risk of jail!

- Carl

J

jackies3225

Thanks for your input Cdwjava, pretty much everything I expected. Your wager is wrong, we're not having sex, but that makes no difference. If he's 16, drives himself down here to Kansas, what basis does my mom have on filing a restraining order? My parents are more worried about the 20 yr old and me, but he doesn't have to come...

CdwJava

jackies3225 said:
Thanks for your input Cdwjava, pretty much everything I expected. Your wager is wrong, we're not having sex, but that makes no difference. If he's 16, drives himself down here to Kansas, what basis does my mom have on filing a restraining order? My parents are more worried about the 20 yr old and me, but he doesn't have to come...
If he encourages you to runaway or leave your parents control or authority in some way, he might be subject to a restraining order. However, not being familiar with the laws in KS I don't know if they permit TROs for that.

I CAN say that if I had a 14-year-old daughter that I did not want seeing some guy, she would be in deep kimsehee for disobeying me, AND Junior and I would have a real serious 'back to Jesus' talk - and I doubt he would consider coming back around.

However, if your parents are not concerned about him - only the adult - then maybe they'll allow it if you abide by their direction. I suspect if you defy them there WILL be things they can do to make everyone's life tough.

- Carl

K

Kansas Courts

In KANSAS, yes your parents can file a restraining order against anyone from coming onto their property.

They can also "ground" you.

This being said, if he comes on their property with a restraining order in place, then he will be arrested.

As well, if you leave your parents home without your parents consent, you are a "runaway".

Or whomever was not issued a restraining order but removed you (with or without YOUR consent) from your parents guardianship has kidnapped you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">