• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Titled In My Name And He Wants It Back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Hawthorne

Kansas

Hello,

He gave me his car during our short marriage and now after we've been separated a year and doing a divorce, he wants it back.

Ironically enough, I had been the one to initally offer him the car by next summer.

I got a threatening call from his attorney saying she will get the car back.

It is titled in my name, so how can she do this?

What are the nature of her threats legally?

What do I have to worry about?

Thanks!

BelizeBreeze

Then the next time this 'attorney' calls, tell her that you will no longer speak with her over the phone and, in fact, you will be recording all future phone calls from her (and get a recorder and leave it on) and that any future communications with you shall be in writing on her office letterhead with her complete identification including her bar card number.

Then tell her to "BITE ROCKS"!

H

Hawthorne

Stupid Attorney

Yup, I told her that in the first call. She acted so unprofessionally and rude, I ended the call with, "Don't ever call me at this number again if you're going to speak to me like that."

I still want to know what she can do legally? Are her threats just to make me cave and be scared and just give them the car now before I'm ready, or does she have a legal grounding for her threats?

Can she get a judge to order me to give the car back?

Thanks!

BelizeBreeze

sure she can. If the judge is drunk and she is on her knees in front of him or she can prove fraud on the exchange of the vehicle into your name.

In otherwords, she's talking out of her ass.

K

Kansas Courts

The car is yours.

It is legally yours.

It is in your possession.

It is in your name.

No sweat, okay?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">