• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Orthodontist Malpractice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ktreb

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Sorry this is a long one.

I live in Indiana but the Orthodontist practices in Illinois. I took my daughter to a well advertised Dental Center in our area to have her treated. I chose this dental center for their extended hours and had heard that the Orthodontist was very good. A few month into her treatment that orthodontist was no longer at the center. My daughter started seeing his replacement and what was to be a two year run ended in three.

My father took here to the orthodontist on most occasions because of my work schedule. When they finally said she would be getting off the braces you can imagine her joy. When she went to the orthodontist for this appointment he was a little Leary of removing them according to her and my father. My father did not press the issue realizing if she needs to have them on a few more month so be it. He did decide to remove them and said that the retainer would correct the remaining problem. That was on July 1st.

She left the office a very happy camper and was told to return in a few days to pick up her retainer. Which she did. At home we thought something was just no right. It didn't look as good as it should.

In August she lost that retainer. We called and asked if the could make her a new one and they said they would have to do new impressions and to make an appointment. Which we could not get for at least 3 weeks. I said fine. In the interim I had heard they could put a permeant retainer on. I decided to take her to my dentist to see if they could perform this task because I would have to pay either way and I preferred them to the center.

My dentist does not do braces but do do cosmetic dentistry along with every other aspect of dentistry. I thought it was worth a shot. I brought her in for an evaluation and almost lost my lunch. The Dentist said that he was really not concerned about the retainer he was more concerned about the jaw and bite problems she had. In a nut shell that none of the real issues were addressed or corrected by the dental center her bottom teeth did not line up to the top nor did they touch. His feeling was she should see another orthodontist for an evaluation. He did say that he was not an orthodontist and it was just his opinion. He gave me several options for orthodontist and offered to call the dental center to discuss the problem.

To make a super long story a little shorter. The new orthodontist confirmed the problem and also informed us that because of here age and her rate of growing there was a chance she would have to have her jaw broken to correct this issue. If the issue was addressed when she first went to the orthodontist it could have been corrected with a devise she would have worn for 9 months. he thinks that there is a chance that it still might work because she is 151/2 which is considered the end of your growth cycle. He said it is usually around 17. He said if that didn't work the could extract teeth and bring the top jaw back and as a last resort the surgery.

Now picture a 15 year old hearing that she wore braces for 3 years for no reason and she would have to wear them again for 2 and 1/2 more years.

They said she has a class 2 overbight and needs 100% correction. I had them write up there conclusion and brought it to the dental center where I explained my situation showed here the list of issues and the bill and asked what they were going to do about it. She said that I would get a full refund and I said I think they should pay the whole thing (about $1500) she did agree but said she was not authorized to do that she would speak to her boss but thought her boss would reply that I would need to speak to their lawyers.

The more I think about it the angry I get. What if she has to have that surgery all because they dropped the ball. Not to mention my daughter has been destraught about the whole thing. Everytime I look at here a I think she is going t cry. She has been sick to her stomach and has spent much time in the last few days in the rest room.

I failed to mention that while I was in the new orthodontist office someone who worked there said that they had someone else with the same type of problem from the same dental center. I said give me her name and we both can go over there together. I realize due to the privacy laws that could not happen. I did say that if she came in to please give here my name and number.

I also informed them at the dental center and the girl who I was dealing with said she had to fax someone's records over to the place I am now going to and she was going to give her a call to see if she could help solve their problem. Help I could really use some advice on what I should do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">