• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI / Disability quandry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tebone

What is the name of your state? California
I am a 51 year old male. Have been trying to get SSI / DI for the past 5 years and been denied. They have determined I can no longer perform my craft as an electrician but that I can do some type of part time work. The guidelines are 6 hrs or less, minimal physical exertions, able to take breaks as needed to relieve discomfort, be under various medications. Just by getting a part time job would decrease my benefits when I retire plus I would probably have a lower wage than I was making before which would further lower my retirement benefits. I have been thinking of starting some type of company, and even that would take time to build up to what I was making before if it was successful at all. To date 5 yrs of appeals, lost 2 houses, all savings and 401 Ks, down to my last car and no medical insurance, denied state and goverment assistance for medical treatment. Does anyone know of a way to protect your current social security benefits when a life catastrophe occurrs to prevent the government from inflicting further damage.

M

morona

broke and broken

I am 40 years old, I worked as a detailer for a dealership in SO. CA, when I fell from a ladder and broke my hip. It's been almost two years since. I've applied to SSA Disability and SSI. SSI denied my claim for the same reason as you. However Disablity did say that I qualified for benefits but not for my recent injury. I had been on SSI from 1985 to 2000 which I should have recieved SSA disability. I have been told I will recieve a one time payment but I would like to know how 15 years of back pay will be estimated? I am still out of work and as you said don't know how I am "supposed" to be able to not only earn a living but provide as a single father of a teenager no less

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">