• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

perjury ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RckyRose

Virginia

OKay I am 17 and will turn 18 in march. I have testified in a hearing and lied about getting weed from the person I was testifying against. The Trial is in December. What kind of charges will I get for comming out and telling the truth? :eek:

CdwJava

Well, you could be charged with perjury. But, perjury is rarely charged.
No matter what happens, ANYTHING you say will be suspect from the point this comes to light. Your testimony will be challenged as not credible.

You need to have your parents hire an attorney to consult because you COULD face criminal charges. Chances are all you need to do is be truthful with the DA and the defense and you can avoid criminal charges ... but, depending on the circumstances, this is not a guarantee.

If you fingered an innocent guy, you need to talk to an attorney quick.

- Carl

R

RckyRose

It's a long story. I need to tell the whole thing so I can get some really good advice. My mom had left my family for some loser drunk about 2 yrs ago. Since she got with this guy I had began doing drugs with her which was all mostly provided by her boyfriend. It finally came down to the point where I couldn't stand it anymore because they began providing my then 14 yr. old brother and I with cocaine. And she would tell me stories about how her and her boyfriend would get drunk and they'd get into an arguement and he'd physically abuse her.... So one day I got caught by my dad with weed, and because I was so angry with my moms boyfriend, I said I got it from him (when actually I did not, but he had gave me drugs before) So my dad calls the cops and I ended up talking to a detective. By that time i figured, well if i'm going to get this guy in trouble for something he didn't do I may as well tell them something that he did do. And they believed me about the weed because he has a terrible criminal record of it. So and then they started asking about my moms involvment in it and I didn't want to say anything because she is a good person that made a ****ed up mistake. But I had to include her because if I hadn't my story wouldn't have been plosible. And now I have come to find that my mom is 8 months pregnant and she is looking at like 60 years in prison or something like that. So, I've decided to not testify when the trial comes and admit that I lied about the pot. They thing I am really looking for is the answer to this question... if i do get charged with perjury, what kind of sentencing will I have?

D

D.B. Cooper

Don't worry much about the perjury, I lie all the time in court and have even cought a few contempts, recieving a slap on the wrist if anything, However what you did was not only morally wrong, but you are about to help the state destroy an innocent person. Drug charges carry very stiff penalities, sometime life sentences without parole. Many sentences can not be reduced due to federal mandatory minimums and sentencing guidlines. What you did is pure evil, two wrongs do not make a right. And just deciding not to testify, as if, most likely will make very little difference. I have some questions if you care to answer:
Is the federal government involved.
Were you charged or threatened with a criminal charge by the state or feds?
Do you have an Attorney? If not, can you afford an Attorney? Does your mother and her Attorney know you lied? I hope for your sake no one takes a plea bargain becuase of your actions, and if a trial is in DEC something probaly is already on the table, were did you get the 60 from?

R

RckyRose

D.B. Cooper said:
Is the federal government involved.
Were you charged or threatened with a criminal charge by the state or feds?
Do you have an Attorney? If not, can you afford an Attorney? Does your mother and her Attorney know you lied? I hope for your sake no one takes a plea bargain becuase of your actions, and if a trial is in DEC something probaly is already on the table, were did you get the 60 from?
I don't exactly know what you mean by the federal government thing. I was not charged with a thing. I had a commonwealth guy as an attorny, but since i wont testify do I need another? My mom has no clue that I lied but she suspects it. Well, the 60 yrs came from her.

Another thing you should know. She was being held in jail but made bond just as long as she had no contact with me what so ever. But one day I went to see her because I missed her alot and felt terrible. So I have been seeing her ever since. She wants me to make a tape with me saying "so and so never gave me weed and blah blah blah" And then she would give it to her boyfriends lawyer. She told me that if I got any fines that she would pay it. I really feel like I need to do this because she has a baby on the way. And I only lied about the weed. the cocaine and everything else was true. She knows that I didn't get it from him but she only knows because her gut tells her. My mom told me about the 60 years thing.

Last edited:
R

RckyRose

oh and another thing, just found out I am 3 months pregnant. I am on the verge of getting married and moving out. (yes my dad is going to sign for it) So since I will sort of be emancipated, will this make a difference?

stephenk

ignore db cooper.

your mom's involvement with getting you to change your testimony can get her in more trouble for tampering with a witness (you).

just face it, your life is a complete mess and your family is completely Fuucked up.

AHA

fast said:
I have never heard anyone say "I am on the verge of getting married".

1) You cannot trust even your own instincts right now

2) get counseling and stay in counseling until professionals say that whatever you decide to do is the right thing.

on the verge of getting married.....geez
"on the verge of getting married", I've heard that expression before, when I friend of mine was hoping and dreaming of getting married. Wishful thinking is sometime all a gal has :)

R

RckyRose

stephenk said:
ignore db cooper.

your mom's involvement with getting you to change your testimony can get her in more trouble for tampering with a witness (you).

just face it, your life is a complete mess and your family is completely Fuucked up.

So give me some good advice.

AHA

RckyRose said:
So give me some good advice.
CdwJava gave you the only advise needed. You need an attorney. This is to big and serious a mess to be solved here.
I'll keep my opinions for myself.
Good luck and all the best wishes for all the new babies in the family, they are going to need it.

D

D.B. Cooper

Just ignore this clown "stepenk" he sounds like he gets his facts of off perry mason, probaly while high on crack, what a ignorant moron.

AHA

I wouldn't call someone who spends most of his time in court ("I lie all the time in court") any more trustworthy, but then again I'm not a criminal. :)

stephenk

I feel flattered. db cooper has been following all of my posts like a lost puppy hoping for a pat on the head.

D.B. Cooper said:
Just ignore this clown "stepenk" he sounds like he gets his facts of off perry mason, probaly while high on crack, what a ignorant moron.
"stepenk," I suspect it won't be too long before the puppy gets "cought" and finally finds his home :D.

R

RckyRose

Cooper guy, your pretty immature.. So, anyways.. I've decided to write a letter of apology to the court and admit that I lied. My brother and I are the key people that can be put on the stand but we've both decided not to testify. Oh and I forgot to mention. before my mom and her now "husband" got their house torn apart and arrested... I did do a sting operation on my mom (which I was pressured into doing and feel terrible about now) and she did reveal some incriminating things that had alot to do with our cocaine use. I guess I am here to try to find a strand of hope. I just need to know what the morally right thing to do is.

Some one please give me some advice, legal or not, i need it

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">