• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing For Libel?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ParadiseLost

For about five years I had been posting on two message boards, and was one of the more popular posters. During that time I went through an incredible amount of personal problems - we're talking everything from having my inhertance from my late husband stolen by a shyster lawyer (the topic for another post), sexual harassment by my landlady's son, being burglarized at least half a dozen times, and even death threats. Each time a new crisis hit, I'd post a prayer request on one or both boards, so everyone knew what I was going through. Things finally got so bad I knew I'd have to leave Hawaii (where I had moved to start a new life after my husband died) and return to the Mainland, but having no family (apart from distant relatives I've had no contact with in 25+ years - I don't even know where they are, or if they're even alive), and being on disability, I didn't have the resources to move....and no place to go.

A couple from one of the boards offered to take me in until I got on my feet, so I sold my furniture to purchase a plane ticket, put the rest of my possessions in storage, and prepared to leave. Two days before my departure I spoke with the wife; everything was "go." Later that afternoon I checked my eMail on a friend's computer (I had been living without electricity for about five months, thanks to the lovely landlady) and saw that they had changed their minds!

What followed was a total nightmare. Apparently some mischief-maker made an anonymous call to this couple (who foolishly posted under their real name, and listed the city where they live) and told them all kinds of lies, such as I was in trouble with the police with outstanding warrants, TROs against me, etc. I also learned that someone (probably the same person) wrote to the administrators of the boards, and said that I was a con artist, looking to bilk people out of money! God's truth is, I NEVER asked for anything but prayer on these ostensibly "Christian" boards, and next thing I knew, every kind of lie and false accusation was being made against me. The admins claimed they had been "investigating" me for months. How, I can't imagine - they didn't know my real name or my address on the board where it began; some people from the other board (whose admins were notified by the admins on the first) DID meet me in person, and knew I wasn't like that....but even the admins there started spreading lies. Anyone who rose up to defend me was shot down. I offered to let them do a REAL investigation, and gave them the name and phone number of my pastor, the name and number of a minister friend whom I've known for years and who is known on one of the boards, the number of my Social Worker (after giving her permission to confirm that I was going through all the problems I was), and even the number of the police department along with case numbers, so they could call and verify that I was telling the truth. Some of the stories could have been read in the local newspaper on-line. They refused. When my pastor, my minster friend, and friends who knew the hell I was going through posted in my defense, the posts were not only immediately removed, but they were banned from the boards, as I was. The lies - unreal. To get a brief respite from the man who had been harassing me while I tried to figure out what to do, I used my frequent flier miles to go over and stay with a friend in Honolulu - I specifically posted that I was going away for a few days as I had enough miles for a free trip, and was staying with a friend who paid for everything from meals to bus fare. They claimed that someone had sent me $500 to move to the Mainland, and I instead spent it on a vacation! The admin of one board - a man whom I had met and liked - said, "She says she has no money, but she's coming in on broadband. That's expensive!" Duh! I SAID in a post that I was using a friend's computer! The many, many lies could have easily been disproven - in many cases, by simply looking at my earlier posts. Instead, they attacked me and tore me apart like sharks sniffing blood. These "Christians" were (are) more evil than the criminals I was having trouble with! (No, I'm not attacking REAL Christians - just the wolves in sheeps' clothing!)

My picture was in my avatar, as well as in their photo album - I feel like I've been dragged through the mud. I can prove that EVERY allegation made against me was false; I have printouts of their false accusations. Thanks to these "Christians," I became homeless (I had told the owner of the house I was renting that I was leaving on a certain date, and since it was her son - a man with numerous felony convictions, including sexual assualt and kidnapping - who had been harassing me, it was imperative that I got out of there ASAP); I ended up living in the shell of a burned out house. I'm now being treated for PTSD and other problems; I see a therapist and psychiatrist regularly; the nightmares are horrific.

Do I have grounds to sue these people for libel? As I said, every accusation can be easily disproven. If so, is this considered to be
personal injury case that a lawyer would take on contingency?

Thanks in advance for your advice. Sorry it was so long - but I want it made clear, these people have destroyed my reputation and my life with their lies!

ParadiseLost

Thanks, Paridise....

Actually, I do NOT have those problems any longer; I've gotten away from the situation I was in and am trying to rebuild my life. Part of the healing process is the need to restore my good reputation, and have those dirtbags shown up to be the liars they are. In other words, I'm sick and tired of being beaten down, I'm not taking any crap from anyone anymore, and I'm starting to fight back.

The libel - and ensuing mental, emotional and financial damage done to me - is well documented, and their false statements can very easily be shown to be exactly that: false. The witnesses I have who would testify to the veracity of my story are impeccable and well regarded in the community.

I guess the real question I want an answer to is, is it feasible to sue someone (in this case, two separate entities) in a different state from the one I now reside in - that is, each of them is in a different state, so we're looking at a person in one state bringing suit against organizations in two other states, with the character witnesses being in yet another state. I don't know what's involved there - would a lawyer have to be licensed in all the states involved? Would I have to engage a lawyer in each of the states where those message boards are based?

Thanks to anyone who can assist with a REAL response to my question.

BelizeBreeze

ParadiseLost said:
Actually, I do NOT have those problems any longer; I've gotten away from the situation I was in and am trying to rebuild my life. Part of the healing process is the need to restore my good reputation, and have those dirtbags shown up to be the liars they are. In other words, I'm sick and tired of being beaten down, I'm not taking any crap from anyone anymore, and I'm starting to fight back.

The libel - and ensuing mental, emotional and financial damage done to me - is well documented, and their false statements can very easily be shown to be exactly that: false. The witnesses I have who would testify to the veracity of my story are impeccable and well regarded in the community.

I guess the real question I want an answer to is, is it feasible to sue someone (in this case, two separate entities) in a different state from the one I now reside in - that is, each of them is in a different state, so we're looking at a person in one state bringing suit against organizations in two other states, with the character witnesses being in yet another state. I don't know what's involved there - would a lawyer have to be licensed in all the states involved? Would I have to engage a lawyer in each of the states where those message boards are based?

Thanks to anyone who can assist with a REAL response to my question.
Sure you can. YOu only have to travel to each state where they reside, file suit, fly your witnesses there and put them up, pay an attorney in each state to represent you and then MAYBE win your case.

If you are, as you say, through with all of that then be so. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">