• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laptop stolen from work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

slee22

What is the name of your state? TX

We had a laptop stolen from our office. One of the partners of the firm sent out an email saying that if any of the employees had it "they have until Oct. 8 to bring it back or charges will be filed." (those are his words) How far do the police usually take an investigation like this? Do they usually drop it and file it away in favor of larger cases, or do they take the time to find out who took it?
Thanks.

CdwJava

slee22 said:
What is the name of your state? TX

We had a laptop stolen from our office. One of the partners of the firm sent out an email saying that if any of the employees had it "they have until Oct. 8 to bring it back or charges will be filed." (those are his words) How far do the police usually take an investigation like this? Do they usually drop it and file it away in favor of larger cases, or do they take the time to find out who took it?
Thanks.
IF the firm calls the police, they will likely investigate. It's a felony. And in an office environment, the suspects are usually easy to identify.

Hopefully the thief takes advantage of the amnesty offer. Because once the police get involved, they won't make the same offer.

- Carl

Beth3

I've handled a situation exactly like this at work and while I can't say how your local police will handle it, I can tell you mine took it quite seriously and did a full criminal investigation - including interviewing all the potential suspects and identifying who it was who stole the laptop - who we fired and elected to file criminal charges against.

If you took the laptop and your employer is offering amnesty, I suggest you take them up on it and return the item posthaste. Time's a wastin' - you have until Friday to return it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">